How to overcome the inability to accept small losses when wrong on trades?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by _eug_, Apr 15, 2018.

1. kmiklas

kmiklas

Thank you, very kind of you to say :) I'm doing well this year, but trading very conservatively.

We always seem to hear about the great stories; like that time I took a huge short position on Cisco an hour before earnings any my account went off like a slot machine when they missed earnings... but we hear very few stories where peeps get hurt.

As I continue to trade, I'm starting to set aside my pride, and share my lemons too.

#21     Apr 17, 2018
    CSEtrader likes this.
  2. ironchef

ironchef

My solution to that problem is unconventional and the pros here will laugh at me:

1. Gave up day trading and moved to swing trades. Then in 2013, moved to swing trade options exclusively.

2. Only trade stocks I don't mind owning. Many of my mistakes became my long term holdings.

3. Examples: MSFT, GOOG in 2007 became long term holdings.:D

4. Read IBD O'Neil, stop-loss and got out of FB, AMZN, BABA in 2014 instead of converting to long term holdings.:(

Best wishes to you.

#22     Apr 18, 2018
    KevinD, rtw, comagnum and 1 other person like this.
  3. Thank You for referencing these Mark Douglas videos from another thread. I will watch them all. I also suffer from this problem of taking a loss. In a very old out of print book called "The Investment Secrets of the Swiss Bankers" they talk about this problem and state there are three reasons that traders do not take a loss when they should:

1. They just to not want to be wrong.
    2. They do not want to lose money.
    3. They fear the market turning and making their original position profitable after having already taken the loss.

It is one thing to be aware of this and find it is still difficult to implement in a live trading situation. That is why trading is so psychologically difficult. The good traders consider taking losses as a cost of doing business and consider it a successful trade because they entered it with their edge.

It is obstacle that we just have to overcome in order to be among the successful ET traders. The battle is in our mind and only we can fight it and win it.

#23     Apr 21, 2018
  4. Hooter

Hooter

Automation. Program a built in stop loss based on your risk parameters. No further decision making required

#24     Apr 21, 2018
    Handle123 likes this.
  5. eurusdzn

eurusdzn

I am not certain but this problem has been an issue when you have no edge.
    If you are having a good year or are in phase with product or market it is easy to lose and scratch and move to next.
    Sort of like trying to squeeze blood from a rock....it's not there...and can only lead to losses.
    Is this edge current?

#25     Apr 21, 2018
  6. I've read 100+ books on trading and this is the best one on how to deal with the mental aspect of losses:

I also agree with other posters who advise using a contingent order to use a stop limit order to control the size of the loss. I do all my orders as OCO (one cancels the other) with one order to take a profit and one to take a loss. Having standing/contingent orders takes a lot of the emotions out. And if one doesn't know where to take a profit or loss, then more study of the system is in order. And the profit order could be some type of trailing profit order if that works.

#26     Apr 22, 2018
  7. I like Dr Kenneth Reid view on inability to take losses.Check him out.Worth it.

#27     Apr 22, 2018
    CSEtrader likes this.
  8. rtw

rtw

another member asked for advice about how not to get stopped all the time when trading futures contracts some days ago. my advice to them is the same as to you;

i would recommend that you just forget about trading futures contracts. the level of leverage is insane and these markets imply far too much risk than what an ordinary retail trader can handle.

as you and several others have mentioned, trading successfully without stops is completely impossible, but trading successfully with stop orders is also almost completely impossible all the same. if you have already tried your hand in the futures markets you are aware of all the numerous deathtraps; from instruments where price goes nowhere for a long time but market makers still find ways to crush all the stop orders by retail traders, to instances where price does initially signal a strong trend but first there are two or three fakes where all retail investors are destroyed before price does make the decisive move it telegraphed previously (even after years i still almost always fall for these damn fakes). not to mention the obscene manipulation and rigging of markets where the global economy is in a far worse situation now than it ever was before 2007 - 2008 - 2009 but the latest stupid financial bubbles keep getting inflated ever higher (same thing with petroleum as you mentioned; all fundamentals have been very poor for more than a decade but declining petroleum prices would kill the latest stupid financial bubbles and equally importantly the house of saud is completely broke and desperately needs all the price manipulation it can get).

there's no need to trade futures contracts at all when there exist far superior instruments with defined risk, ample upside and very attractive leverage levels. there are instruments that would allow you to only create positions where you couldn't sabotage your trades even if you tried to.

#28     Apr 22, 2018
    KevinD and comagnum like this.
  9. Xela

Xela

If you'll excuse some really "plain speaking" on a Sunday afternoon, until you really understand and internalize qxr's post on the previous page (this one), that's going to continue to be a problem for you: the deficiency that's repeatedly producing that outcome for you is mostly in your trading education and understanding, not your psychology.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    #29     Apr 22, 2018
  10. jinxu

jinxu

Blow up your entire account and then start over. You think I may be kidding, but your psychology is like a drug addict. Meaning you won't change until you have hit rock bottom.

Building your psychological edge requires the experience of failure to defend against future failure. Just hope blowing up doesn't mean too much capital. Hehe.

#30     Apr 22, 2018