How to overcome the inability to accept small losses when wrong on trades?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by _eug_, Apr 15, 2018.

1. You may have read them, but you did not internalize them. Personally, I've never been able to read Douglas's first book cover to cover. It was like riding a bicycle too slowly; I kept falling (asleep). However, I did manage to read all of his second book. I may not have liked everything he wrote, but there were some nuggets worth savoring. That's why I made an effort to watch the videos posted in this thread:

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/mark-douglas-how-to-think-like-a-professional-trader.319792/

You should take the time to watch the 4th video in the first post. It's almost 2 hours long, but it sounds like you need it. And then maybe watch it again.

#11     Apr 16, 2018
  2. Spooz Top 2

Spooz Top 2

Like I always reinforce, the entry , imho, Is the most critical & important component of a trade as it literally dictates the entire process & dictates whether you win or lose that particular set up.

Refine.. I mean truly refine your intestinal fortitude to be incredibly selective on your entry & do not waver... let PA come to you as 8 out of 10 x it will... Once your Entry is refined, the remainder of your entire equation/ trade is now in balance.. eg; Proper / favorable RR, Stop, profit target, trail stop, etc.

Invert... truly invert & visualize inverting your thinking to accept your initial stop as a positive not a negative.. Capital preservation is King... If your entry is sloppy then the entire trade/ setup is sloppy .. as long as you are on point with entry, the stop will be on point & correct.. accept it as insurance to preserve your most important asset... Cash!

#12     Apr 16, 2018
    _eug_, David M21, DDR and 5 others like this.
  3. Good post. A good entry makes the rest of the trading process that much smoother, regardless of outcome. Chaos theory focuses on the behavior of dynamical systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions. I'm not an advanced math guy by any stretch, but I do see the value of focusing on good initial conditions. A good entry goes a long way.

#13     Apr 16, 2018
    Spooz Top 2 likes this.
  4. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

@Spooz Top 2

Thank you for the persuasive and thought provoking post. Myself, I operate from the "exit" camp belief. Your post, coupled with a post by a different poster in the money management is the only edge thread stating money management is not a method or strategy, which is true, has me re-thinking my stance. Thank you.

#14     Apr 16, 2018
    Spooz Top 2 likes this.
  5. qxr1011

qxr1011

only for those who does not have clear, defined rules

that is imho the source of your problem

has nothing to do with psychology

#15     Apr 16, 2018
    zenemini, schweiz, Xela and 2 others like this.
  6. I have a very simple fix for you, in the next trades for the next month you ONLY focus on how much you can maximum loose and you do not focus on how much you can win.

A trade that you exit at your systems stop loss is a good trade.

You are only going to trade 'good' trades in the next month.

#16     Apr 16, 2018
  7. %%
    DO NOT try this @ home;keep doing that /blow thru several accounts you will learn.''Get my gead right'' you said?? HUH?? That slop IS part of your problem.

Average profit time is in years eug; full time professionals average 8% or 10% or 12% @ year. Some do better, but 80% fund managers dont beat SPY benchmark.HOPE this helps, helped me-wisdom is profitable to direct.:cool::cool:

#17     Apr 16, 2018
  8. mbondy

mbondy

Do you believe that you deserve to win?

#18     Apr 17, 2018
    ElectricSavant likes this.
  9. kmiklas

kmiklas

Not proud of this, but one week I made some errors and suffered some heavy losses; 3% per day two of those days. It hurt so much that I crawled into bed at market close and curled up into a ball.

I realized that this could not continue, so the next week, I resolved to be very clear about how much loss I could handle emotionally, and get out when I hit that limit.

I always struggled mightily with being a "non-emotional" trader.

#19     Apr 17, 2018
    CSEtrader, comagnum and tomorton like this.
  10. 3% per day is considered "heavy losses" to you...I've done 10X that. o_O -- But to be fair, I've had much greater gains as well.
    And I always crawl into bed and curl up like a ball when I realize how old of a virgin I am. :confused:

Happy New Year 2018, kmiklas -- Many Happy returns. Good trading and good skill and good mind and good wisdom and good fortune and good tactics and good strategy and good execution and good psychology and good calmness,

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    #20     Apr 17, 2018
    murray t turtle and kmiklas like this.