Anyone doing Collective2 ??

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Jdesey, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Jdesey

Jdesey

I said I would never again manage money for other people... everyone is your best friend until there's a draw-down or just crappy conditions.

But Collective2 (who advertises on this website) has a pretty neat offering. Sounds simple enough, they are tied into my trading account, and for those that pay a fee of $100-200/month and they can execute trades right along with me, you get 66% of that.

Who is doing this? what's your experience? What about legal liability?

just looking for insight from those that have done this...

2. ...I can't imagine ...anyone is Truly/really, fruitfully profitable on Collective2 -- that game is as shady as the trading guru business, o_O
    That site lists only a bunch of hypothetical returns examples, that is kind of funny/strange. Don't they have real life examples,

You either have peanut, no returns...or gunslinger cowboy traders who go up and down kind of getting nowhere, if not busting,

But what the hell -- Life's just a gamble right, and in the end...we just hope we're lucky, or things work out for us,

Either way...Mazel tov, and May the Farce be with You,

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Iwilldoit, johnnyrock, SteveH and 2 others like this.
  3. Snuskpelle

Snuskpelle

I did C2 a while before moving on to my own strategies (WIP). The problem is a lot of strategies on C2 (I would say, a majority of the popular ones) have a high chance of blowing up. Systems can suddenly fail because they were discretionary or the author decided to change something in addition to all the usual reasons.

Besides, that site isn't cheap for small investors. That probably contributes to the majority dogpiling on illusive high return (=most often high risk) strategies. There can also be very significant slippage between hypothetical and true returns - I noted that I was only making 80% of hypothetical for a particular FX system.

That said, you *can* make C2 work in my opinion, but it requires you to do your own research and analysis of system risk. The most important factor I would say is how long a system has been running. For instance, the maximum draw down "so far" as stated in C2 is obviously not the same as a maximum draw down figure in from a high quality two decade backtest. And if you don't understand what the system is doing/trading, don't follow it.

4. Jdesey

Jdesey

Guys. I'm talking about being a trader who posts his trades on the site and collects a fee.

Has anyone done this ? It's kinda like running a trading room without all the interaction

Snuskpelle likes this.
  5. Snuskpelle

Snuskpelle

Ah sorry, I'm pretty tired. Shouldn't be posting mid night apparently. :)

6. Gotcha

Gotcha

Wow... you go from:

1. Asking about volume... which you should be able to easily find in your own broker platform

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/data-source-needed-for-volume.311111/

2. Asking about what trading the NQ is like

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/trading-the-nasdaq-mini-nq.310746/

3. Asking about broker recomendations, which is odd if you're saying you're a profitable trader already

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/brokerage-recommendations-for-futures.310850/

4. Asking if you should be trading the first 30 mins.

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/es-first-30-mins.310579/

5. Asking about the VIX

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/is-the-vix-still-pertinent.310431/

6. And lets not even forget how you're trying to figure out if you should be using ART for your stops and targets.

So you're asking all this, and yet you want to sell us your trades on C2 to follow for a profit? Jesus, I'm shocked. No point in stating a conclusion other than I'm shocked.

7. Jdesey

Jdesey

Gotcha. Are you looking for a boyfriend. You seem to follow my every word. Do I need to send you photos?? Gee I'm shocked at what a hard on you have for me.

8. algofy

algofy

he has some decent points and kudos for his research

remoteControl and Gotcha like this.
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

OK, bickering aside, let's treat OP's question as a legit one. I have made money on C2 as a vendor a few years back. It is a rather laid back experience (meaning C2 does most of the work for you) and as long as you are not scalping but swing trading, your subscribers' real life fills are going to be similar than yours.

Once I stopped my system because I was going for 3-4 ES ticks and my subscribers were getting half or less of that. Thus it wasn't profitable for them, even if it looked profitable on paper while no subscribers were there. That is just the nature of the set up, so as long as you know the delay and its effect and your system can handle it, this shouldn't be a problem.

The best are the seldom trading systems that hold for days if not for hours. There is a thread here that recommends/criticizes systems and the one I liked most were all trading only a couple of times a month. When you trade that few times, a few ticks differences between subscribers and vendor doesn't matter.

Nowadays it is best not to set free trials, because people are trying to game the system. Some subscribers can be a pain in the neck, and wants to know everything before they sign up. That can be a little bit annoying, but understandable. A good open PR approach can go a long way at getting subscribers.

There is a psychological danger for vendors though. If you are not trading your own money (or trading it differently) it is easy to get detached from reality and realizing that there could be quite a decent amount of capital behind your trades, even if it is just a sim for you. That is when vendors start to average down or moving stop loss orders and eventually blow up. Generally it is better if as a vendor you also trade your own money thus you feel their pain. Write a good description of your system, don't average down, use stop losses, and stick to the rules. <<<<< If these rules were followed by vendors there would be no blown systems on C2...

When people ask, if you can trade profitably why would you sell your system? I always ask back, why not, as long as it doesn't effect your fills or psychology? This is extra money after all, and don't you like more money? In a month when you are flat, subscribers' fees still pay the bills...

So if you are a swing trader of a trading vehicle that has enough volume for others (not like a low volume option trader, for example) there is no reason not to give C2 a try. Treat subscribers' money with respect as it was yours, and if after a few months you decide dealing with people is not for you, hey, at least you gave it a try...

10. ironchef

ironchef

Do they share the losses if the trades do not workout?

Thank you.

#10     Jul 12, 2017