ES first 30 mins

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Jdesey, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Jdesey

Jdesey

I'm looking for opinions on the following.
    I recently decided to do no trading the first 30 minutes of the regular session. From 8:30 AM to 9 AM Chicago time.
    I am now rethinking that. It seems like some of the time I'm better off waiting and some the time I would hot my first winner of the day. Today is an example of that.

You can find a lot of articles that say do not trade the first 30 minutes but I believe those articles are referring to, stock not futures.

Considering the futures trade almost around-the-clock and we have volume in trades before the 830 car. maybe I need to discard this rule.

Opinions ???

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Given a choice, if I choose to limit my trading, I would focus on 9:30am ET to 11am ET and 2:30pm ET to 4:15PM ET. Just my opinion.

3. If Mr. Morse tells you that then you better take it to the bank!:finger:

4. The answer really come down to the timeframe of your edge. If you believe and can credibly replicate a trading edge within that stated timeframe, then another person's rule has little bearing on whether or not you should be trading within those hours.

5. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

The only edge that the retail trader has is risk management. There is no other edge.

6. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

:D What is the point of trading futures if you don't embrace movement and volume. I heard a story last week of a stock day-trader that only traded per-market until 11am and got flat. Then he would go to a movie or the pool midday to stay away from midday trading, then come back and trade the last 1 hour and 30 min. He had a $1mm allocation at a prop firm and made close to that each year for many years. His cut was $1mm on average.

Zr1Trader likes this.
  7. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Risk management is a tool, not an edge. Edge is a process to put the odds in your favor.

8. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Risk management is the only edge. It is what puts the odds of making money in your favor by the way.

9. Gotcha

Gotcha

And this guy continues to troll.

Seriously... are you working for Baron in order to drum up business and traffic?

If you were making 6 points per day, you wouldn't be constantly tweaking your strategy. You wouldn't need to vent about one or two crappy days as all traders will have a losing day several times a month. And you certainly wouldn't be asking anyone here for their opinion. When someone is nicely profitable and they build up consistency, they just read to pass the time.

Mtrader, Laissez Faire and fordewind like this.
  10. Jdesey

Jdesey

Wow. It amazes me how people get blasted on forums. I guarantee you wouldn't talk that way to my face.
    Maybe I want more than what I'm making. Maybe I want to improve.

#10     Jun 20, 2017
    Malakka1964 likes this.