Trading the Nasdaq mini NQ

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Jdesey, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Jdesey

Jdesey

who is trading the NQ? what is it like? I only ask because it appears that Nasdaq is having better daily moves than S&P.... today is an example... S&P down approx 1/2%, but Nasdaq down approx 1.5%...that is 3 times more movement. and today was a big move for s&p.

just looking for yor experience with NQ. Obviously it trades nowhere near the volume of ES, and one point = $20 vs $50 on ES, but the index is double the value...

opinions please

2. speedo

speedo

Yes, the NQ has more range and intraday opportunities than the ES. The flip side is, it can not handle the size that the ES can (not an issue for the beginner) and it can move very fast (absolutely an issue for the beginner).

3. Jdesey

Jdesey

well I am not a rookie, but I switched from NQ to ES back in 2011. I just looked closely at today's action and to be profitable I would have to set stops too wide for my comfort. I think this is a case of "grass in greener on the other side" syndrome. Like , I think I am missing something better to trade.

4. Turveyd

Turveyd

To my method, both trades similary 1 hour after after US Markets opened.

But before this NQ had some fast spikes big moves which you'd likely be on the wrong side of as counter trend, hit your SL and slipped nastily.

NQ too quick for me today, I don't trade either as neither moves enough most of the time to work for me, but today wayyyyyy too much, ES easier to my method.

5. Xela

Xela

That's completely typical. If you're a relatively fast-moving intraday trader, especially, you might prefer it, as I do. ES feels to me rather like watching paint dry.

murray t turtle, SteveH and comagnum like this.
  6. Jdesey

Jdesey

Xela,,, I will probably start watching NQ to get a feel.... if I was to use my target/stops for ES on a % basis,,,, I would be allowing 5 point stop loss on NQ and going for a 8 point profit...

what do yo feel is proper for targets and stops on NQ ??

Xela likes this.
  7. Jdesey

Jdesey

OK I'm taking a hard look at the NQ again. This was the original futures contract I traded in 2011. Maybe my love affair with ES needs to be looked at. Here's a terrific article talking about how the NQ is a better vehicle than the ES. The article is nine years old but I think it's still relevant.

http://tradingmarkets.com/recent/whats_the_easiest_e-mini_to_trade-640757.html

I'm crunching a bunch of data and back testing some things. I'll post my results soon

8. Jdesey

Jdesey

ok I find this very interesting.... I have broken down the ES vs NQ.... the results are pretty revealing. I chose to express it is $ instead of percentages cause it seems to make more sense. keeping in mind that 1 pt =$50 ES 1pt=$20 NQ
    these are daily averages

For the ES
    Range 10 years 14.55pts $727
    Range 12 mo 14.62pts $730
    last 30 days 12.35pts $617
    2017 range 12.93pts $646

For the NQ
    Range 10 yr 42.12pts $ 842
    12 month range 42pts $ 843
    last 30 days 50.10pts $ 1,001
    2017 range 40.19pts $ 803

WOW! across the board NQ has more daily range by a long shot. Therefore it should be possibly easier to trade. The difference on last 30 days is HUGE, yes it is only 30 days.
    looking at the 10 yr number $727 ES vs $842 NQ...that is huge as well.

hmm.... thoughts?

9. _eug_

_eug_

Run these numbers on CL...

shatteredx and Xela like this.
  10. NQ is made up of AMZN, GOOGL, NFLX, etc

Only a few stocks move the index

#10     Jun 28, 2017