YouTube channels that actually teach useful information?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Savoy, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Good point. Kids these days seem to be forgetting about these things and yet they are as good as videos. Videos appeal more to our lazy side, but laziness will not win you this game.

#41     Dec 23, 2015
  2. VPhantom

VPhantom

It's not quite about laziness in my opinion. I happen to have been friends with the TV a bit too much in the 1980's, and then of course the whole school system itself was a big part of my time, and those two affected how I learn most effectively. It's not about being entertained or distracted either, it's because videos are a significant step closer to being taught directly by another human being vs just absorbing information.

It's a great and useful innovation that we have video in addition to books available as a teaching medium nowadays. A book is great for structured reference material. A video is more like a private lesson, or in some cases, mentorship.

#42     Dec 24, 2015
    Cswim63 likes this.
  3. Cswim63

Cswim63

When air powered nail guns became widely available, carpenters began to use them because they increased productivity by a large amount. Nonetheless, the old timers thought it was cheating. They would say that the new guys weren't real craftsmen.

#43     Dec 24, 2015
    VPhantom likes this.
  4. VPhantom

VPhantom

I agree.

As a fun side-note however, in construction it's amazing the amount of nails that missed the stud when you look from the inside (i.e. a roof) with their crazy habit of punching 4-5 of them per second... What's the rush? I'm always amazed, given the overall (high) cost of those projects, at how much quality is lost by trying to shave 2% off the overall time. I suppose nails are cheap and they just use a bunch more to compensate, but it's not intuitive to a perfectionist like myself. :p

#44     Dec 26, 2015
  5. Cswim63

Cswim63

You can hear it right away when you miss. Once in awhile is normal, but if they are missing a lot, they're probably going too fast.

#45     Dec 26, 2015
  6. Dear VPhantom,
    Timothy Morge (Market Geometry) is not who he claims to be, so please be careful. I also viewed the IB Webinars, where he claims to be among the 10 largest FX traders in the world, and to have three PHDs (Math, Physics, Economics). Through the Wayback Machine, I found he only has a Masters, NO PHDs, and Blackthorne Capital, his sovereign wealth fund which supposedly manages more than 100 Billion, had only less than 4 Million in AUM.

Shane Blankenship, his partner, just declared bankruptcy, which I found through this Forum:
    https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/tim-morge-and-the-well-chosen-example.305061/

You can view the real Timothy Morge here:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20050211033314/http://blackthornecapital.com:80/btnewindex.html

I contacted Cynthia Tomain at Interactive Brokers, and Tim will never be allowed to speak there again.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    #46     Apr 28, 2018
    strat3gix and fourtiwinks like this.
  7. Please refer to the following, regarding Timothy Morge:
    https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/tim-morge-and-the-well-chosen-example.305061/page-3

#47     Jun 8, 2018
    VPhantom likes this.
  8. VPhantom

VPhantom

Sure. I doubt anybody should be spending actual money on his services given what we now know.

However I found true value in his free webinars, so my suggestion still mostly stands. He insists on conservative, methodical money management, and the rest mostly boils down to reading charts from left to right thinking about the market instead of just looking for visual patterns out of context. That helped me make an important step in my evolution.

#48     Jun 23, 2018
    ChipShotTrader likes this.
  9. Dear VPhantom,
    I totally agree with your statement. His free webinars and PDFs (I went through all the free material) were all part of a very elaborate hustle/conjob. Very sophisticated work, but it’s all over now...

#49     Jun 23, 2018
  10. VPhantom

VPhantom

Not at all my point. Just to be clear, my point is that regardless of the author, this material stands on its own as one of many sources which were beneficial to me in broadening and ultimately greatly simplifying my way of looking at price movement. Even if it had been anonymous, I would've derived the same benefits from it.

#50     Jul 14, 2018