Video of What Happened at TD Ameritrade

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by lbhere, Jan 30, 2020.

1. lbhere

lbhere

This is a follow up to my earlier thread. This is what has occurred two times to me.

The first time, about two weeks ago, was a limit order that executed, but I was not told it executed. It finally printed about 3 - 4 minutes later. I chalked this up to a glitch. It did not "hurt" my P/L. So I was not too worried.

This Monday it was an immediate market order about 1 minute after the bell. Again, the fill and price never posted. The only way I knew I was in a trade was because the activity log said I had "one working order." But I did not know price and could not close the order because TD Ameritrade showed NO information about the fill. It lasted over 10 minutes, close to 15.

I was trading the QQQ. Huge index. But it turned quickly and I could not close my position for a long time. Big loss.

Please see my other post ( https://www.elitetrader.com/et/thre...de-where-to-go-now.339922/page-3#post-5004410) about the particulars so I don't waste too much time here for everyone.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  2. kmiklas

kmiklas

Switch to Interactive Brokers

3. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I generally avoid these types of threads/discussions, but after watching that video, "WooooooW." :confused::confused::confused:

On TWS, if a trade has the slightest latency, the platform indicates that in color, and if it persists, then all hell breaks loose in the trading community. (And this is where IBKR and maybe Lightspeed/others really shine -- things get resolved in a matter of minutes/hours, NOT weeks/months. Unfathomable. :confused::vomit:)

I would observe though (to be fair and everything), that the premise [trade condition] was not just a market order, but a "commission-free" market order. In my best New Yawk accent, "Yous getz whatchuz payz foah, eh Manny?"

Thanks, but I'll pay for my TWS.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    kmiklas and Nobert like this.
  4. lbhere

lbhere

Ha. I'm just new enough to have gotten excited then my account trading commissions went to zero! lol. I could have paid three months of TWS fees with the loss due to this issue that took place in 10 minutes!

They say the painful lessons are the quickest learned. I am moving, as well. Still looking into choices.

murray t turtle likes this.
  5. %%
    FEB 3+ SEPT 30,2020
    WELL in theory ,lbhere,you had a good chance @ a good fill/around a round numbers anyway.
    They used to be better when they charged commissions;+USPO mailed you every trade confirmed.They actually answered the phone better than IBKR. IBKR seldom had much trouble+ problems tended to get solved without phone answered.
    [ If you do go with IBKR, buy or sell button does not confirm quick sometimes in an instant+ when i pressed the buy or sell button twice/ sometimes got a double dose order /LOL]

Congrats on not buying penny stocks + blaming brokers/market makers for bad fills/LOL...………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

lbhere likes this.
  6. lbhere

lbhere

I actually went to Lightspeed, then changed over to Tradestation. Tradestation has worked very well for me and my style of trading. Neither LS nor TS have the lag problems that I encountered at TOS.

There were times on TOS that I could not go short, as well. Same with Lightspeed. But all these occasions have been rare. Back then is when I investigated the "going long on the inverse" idea. Never really thought about shorting 1/3 on 3x going the same direction.

I have the feeling that shorts are going to be harder and harder to find. But certainly NOT TODAY! A banner day for me today. It sure is nice to be more comfortable in my trading plan.

I was laughed at on one of my earliest posts for trading an ETF. Too slow for many, I suppose. But I just want to be solid, consistent. I might be a little more aggressive than a turtle, Murray, but I am not willing to throw my money away either. Pennies are too rich for my blood.

Cheers!

birdman and murray t turtle like this.
  7. %%
    ETFs, ETFs x2, x3 are plenty good,plenty liquid. Some are up >50%,100% + year to date.
    May not be so much drama, because we cant get a margin call on those, like so much stuff/LOL...…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..I just got thru re-reading ''Way of the Turtle'', 55 day breakout=great turtle pattern.:caution::caution::caution::caution::caution:
    Investors Business Daily Newspaper front runs that 55 day turtle pattern all the time, with a 50 day moving average on price +50 day volume ,lbhere.

lbhere likes this.
  8. lbhere

lbhere

And the oh, so, handy IBD 50 (used to be the IBD 100 when I first learned).

I haven't used that paper in over two years now because I trade only the QQQ. But Wiliam O'Neil's book was my very first read. I remember getting that newspaper and thinking it was impossible to understand, and that if I could just understand half of what was in it....I would be doing pretty well.

A month later I knew what sections I enjoyed best, what to look for and what I was doing. I have been through so much since then! Read an awful lot too. But I think the absolute best was to sit and just watch the screen, as DBPhoenix always implored people to do. Once you know the basics, just watch it play out. It was so difficult in the beginning to know who to listen to, what was valuable, what was garbage.

I don't recall the turtle pattern in the IBD. I'll have to take a gander.

murray t turtle likes this.
  9. %%
    Good.I dont think he mentioned the 55 day breakout /turtle pattern. That 50 day front run moving average was my comment/LOL .Of course he always put a 50dma on price/50dma on vol...............................................................................................................

lbhere likes this.