TWS works well with Linux?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by GloriaBrown, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Does anyone have this experience? Welcome to share.

VPhantom likes this.
  2. Heydrrich

Heydrrich

Yes its a java based application, operating systems do not matter on those. It only requires the JVM to run it on, which is OS independent.

3. Yes but give it lots of memory even if it's just gateway.

4. kmiklas

kmiklas

It worked well enough for me.

I ran some algos with the API and the gateway worked. Execution was not so great; I was low man on the totem pole.

VPhantom likes this.
  5. Yes, TWS works well on Ubuntu. I’m using it already several years.

VPhantom likes this.
  6. Times

Times

Java is pretty terrible in my experience. ToS also uses Java and works on Linux.

C++ is where its at.

kmiklas likes this.
  7. You don't know what you are talking about. Today, Java is replacing most of the C++ code in finance for trading because the compiler and Jit makes Java as fast and in some cases faster than C++ code.

8. You're fantasizing. If people are replacing c++ with Java it's because of Dilbert style management or well meaning but ultimately doomed new grads. A very well known hedge fund, which trafficks in mystery, once had such a team replace c++ with Java and found that they had memory leaks.

Java is being used in back office but that is being phased out for c#.

All that being said, Java is as good a choice as any providing you have good programmers.

IAS_LLC likes this.
  9. Also, the current use of Java in IB is an outgrowth of the JAVA hysteria in the late 90s. Fuck SUNW.

#10     Jul 1, 2019
    inCom likes this.