Trader Chat

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by remoteControl, Aug 2, 2020.

1. ffs1001

ffs1001

@remoteControl , the comments by myself and @maxinger are a sort of a test of your leadership skills and to see if you have what it take to start a community.

With the greatest of respect, if you want to start something like this, I would suggest :

1) Qualify yourself - tell us know what your skills and experience levels are; are you a professional? Are you a full-time trader making a living?
    2) What is the intention and goals and purpose of the new group?
    3) How will it be different/better than what we have already freely available on the net?
    4) Finally - the most important point in motivating and influencing people - tell them what's in it for THEM. What will people gain by coming on board with this idea? How will it benefit them?

An initial post addressing all of these points, and with more detail and thought, will get far more people engaged in the idea and be supportive. An A4 page explaining the Who? What? Why? When? etc would have carried far more credibility as it would show that you have put serious thought and effort into the idea.

I know you will take this with the positive intention with which it is meant, and I genuinely wish you good luck with the project.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    #11     Aug 3, 2020
    ironchef and comagnum like this.
  2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Just FYI, we have a private thread feature here where you can invite only the traders you want to participate in it. And you can add/remove people to the group whenever you want. This discussion would only be viewable by you and the people you invite.

#12     Aug 3, 2020
  3. Thanks, Baron. After all these years I actually didn't know that. In this Discord room, we have some instant feedback as well as a voice room which is working out nicely for the moment.

#13     Aug 3, 2020
  4. S-Trader

S-Trader

For real-time chats to be of benefit and prevent excessive noise/distraction, I'd strongly suggest you consider narrowing it down to people who trade the same instruments and have very similar trading styles/approaches. Otherwise, things tend to get very chaotic and noisy, negating any benefits. Eventually, serious traders will tend to drift away and leave.

But even in chats limited to people who trade the same instruments and have somewhat similar styles, things can get too noisy and distracting with slight variations in approach. Setups based on signals that have no meaning to you are useless. There are countless ways to skin a cat when it comes to trading, and one of the biggest reasons that most serious traders have very narrow, well-defined approaches is to eliminate noise.

#14     Aug 8, 2020
  5. very well said and i absolutely agree. this has been a shortcoming in our group so far, but i believe we are working through it with different channels for different styles, and being honest about what is added value to the chatroom and what is not. it's an experiment and it won't be good overnight, but if we get a group of like minded guys, i'm hopeful it can be done.

#15     Aug 8, 2020
    S-Trader likes this.
  6. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

It's not complicated.

Just list some basic info (e.g. broker, trade execution platform, charting service, trading instrument, location, trading style).

Then post a message at forums with that info to see whom are interested.

Seriously, I've seen very good chat trading groups based upon just one of the above categories and others based upon several of the above categories. The key is to get members that share a commonality for the chat group to be around for many years.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    #16     Aug 8, 2020
  7. Overnight

Overnight

@remoteControl Apparently wants only people who can chat every day, even on swing trades, which can take days.

Here's what I got when I noticed I was no longer in his chatroom when logging into Discord today, and responded as such.
    remotetraderBS.JPG

OMG! Someone doesn't show up for a week in your "chatroom". So delete them. Wrong idea, dude.

After all these years, the guy didn't know the ET forum had a private message system. He'll go far in his "chatroom".

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    #17     Aug 12, 2020
    wrbtrader and ffs1001 like this.
  8. ffs1001

ffs1001

@Overnight , so you've been kicked out of a chat room! I'd take this as a badge of honour.

Have a look at this chappie called "10_bagger", who wanted to meet like-minded traders and wrote his first post below. Have a read and see how wonderfully written it is and why he got so many positive responses from others. You can tell a lot about a person with the way they present themselves even in a simple post on a forum thread. Now, if he was started a chat group, I'm sure it would be very popular :

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/looking-for-a-trading-partner.332077/

#18     Aug 12, 2020
  9. Overnight

Overnight

Should just go over to Usenet, see how that place is hopping lately. I miss mIRC too. Where chatrooms were, without a doubt, CHATROOMS! heh

#19     Aug 12, 2020
    drmark27 likes this.
  10. wow harsh dude. i treated you with nothing but respect, asked you multiple times how you were feeling about it, did you plan to participate, and all we got was a pink floyd music video. thanks for playing.

#20     Aug 12, 2020