Set extensions?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Resistance routine only once a week. One set to failure and one forced rep to accentuate a static hold and a very slow negative for 8 exercises, 7 of which are compounds. Followed by:

Cardio in the form of HIIT body weight squats with speed intervals, immediately followed by 2 ab exercises, which I also count as cardio because I go from the body weight squats to the abs without pause. I also do the HIIT body weight squats with speed intervals on 3 other days of the week, but only a couple of speed intervals for 2 of those 3 other days.

You?
    Damn. The reading I got on my Conair WeightWatcher body composition scale ($20!) was 18.5% body fat. I swear I'm not making it up because it's a half percentage point lower than yours. :D And if you are presently about as lean as you were in the photos you posted a few years back, then there is no way your reading of 19-21% is accurate. I haven't seen your posted photos in a while but, from what I recall, you were leaner than I am now. So I'd be willing to sell you my machine at a slight premium for its feel-good readings. Yours will surely be below 18.5%. :D All kidding aside, I'm breathing a sigh of relief right now because I was pissed when I saw my number. After what you wrote, I'm hopeful the reading is overstated.

Just curious, how much has your weight fluctuated during the time that your body fat % reading remained in that small range? I was hoping that at least the trend would be accurate...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    #71     Jan 22, 2019
  2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

My weight has been anywhere from 173.8 to 194 and the bodyfat was about the same on that stupid scale no matter what. :vomit:

At this stage, I'd pay just about anything to get another half percentage point off. :D

#72     Jan 22, 2019
  3. Does your machine also calculate your BMI? If so, what is your reading? Mine came in at 22.6. Of course, at this point I suppose it's about as accurate as taking 2 seat-of-the-pants estimates, multiplying them, and getting accuracy to the decimal point.

#73     Jan 22, 2019
  4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I've been working out about 4 days per week lately through a standard split routine of about 4 exercises total of 3 sets each.

Back and Bi's on day one.
    Quads and calves on day 2.
    Rest on day 3.
    Chest and Tri's on day 4.
    Hamstrings and Shoulders on day 5.
    Rest on days 6 and 7.

I was doing steady state cardio on an elliptical machine for a couple months 6 days per week but the weather here in Florida has been great so I transitioned to 30-minute walks on an empty stomach upon waking.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought Clarence Bass' book called Take Charge to get some diet tips and other fitness ideas. It's a dense book but in it he credits another book called "Always Hungry?" soI bought that one which is a pure diet book that's mainly a low-carb, moderate fat, moderate protein, whole foods approach. It has some recipes in it which I have been trying for the last week or so.

#74     Jan 22, 2019
  5. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Wait a minute, I think it's been showing me my BMI this whole time. That's funny! It was originally bought by my wife a decade ago so I don't know for sure what exactly it's doing. I need to get a new one.

#75     Jan 22, 2019
  6. #76     Jan 22, 2019
  7. LOL, I doubt your BMI would be that low given your size, so whatever reading it actually is, I'd conclude it's not especially accurate. Not that I really know anything about these things.

Let me know how the numbers look on the new machine if you get one.

#77     Jan 22, 2019
  8. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I just bought one on Amazon and it will be here tomorrow. :thumbsup:

#78     Jan 22, 2019
  9. Cool. Please post your readings on Thursday morning. I'm really interested to know how different the number(s) will be compared to your old machine.

#79     Jan 22, 2019
  10. What made you decide to switch from one set for each exercise performed a few times a week doing a whole body routine, to a multi-set-per-exercise split routine? And have you noticed any difference in outcomes?

#80     Jan 22, 2019