Arthur Jones on how much exercise is "enough"

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Visaria

Visaria

At the moment, i'm on an personal trainer course given by a world class researcher and bodybuilder/physique model who also happens to be my training coach. I'm finding that most of the stuff that is on the internet is incorrect and in direct contrast to what i'm being taught.

One of those is that doing cardio as well as doing strength training is not a good idea. They are at the opposite ends of the strength endurance spectrum. If you do both, your body is trying to adapt one way and then another way which means, instead of optimal results, you obtain the worst of both worlds.

Under the supervision of my coach, i lost 30 pounds of fat and gained 5 pounds of muscle in 4 months. That was done solely with weight training, absolutely NO cardio and a calorie controlled diet. In the process, i reversed my border line diabetes and can see a faint outline of my abs (6 pack).

#21     Mar 31, 2017
    Baron likes this.
  2. Nice-looking family. But what's with the arms, bro? :wtf:

#22     Mar 31, 2017
  3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Not sure what you're asking.

#23     Mar 31, 2017
  4. Visaria

Visaria

Good arm muscle definition there Barron...i'm guessing you though you still have a load of fat you want to shed though?

#24     Mar 31, 2017
  5. Visaria

Visaria

Funny thing is that us guys always pose like that...trying to flex both the biceps AND triceps even though they are opposing muscles.

#25     Mar 31, 2017
  6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I have visible abs. But I could still lose 5 more lbs probably.

#26     Mar 31, 2017
  7. Impressive.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    #27     Mar 31, 2017
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

how long is your workout routine? and how many days do you go to gym? I do whatever I feel like that day, TRX, weights, cardio and then yoga at the park 2 times a week.

#28     Mar 31, 2017
  9. Visaria

Visaria

You can go leaner...just cut the calories but ensure your protein intake is adequate.

#29     Mar 31, 2017
  10. Coincidentally, I'm presently reading Clarence Bass's latest book, Take Charge - Fitness at the Edge of Science, and just finished a chapter the other day that cites research contradicting what you wrote. I checked his site, and sure enough, found a piece he wrote about this research:

http://www.cbass.com/Weights_Aerobics.htm

To be fair, I do think you're right if either cardio or resistance training is taken to the extreme. But I think a reasonable balance can be reached. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Besides, I only do a brief form of ~high intensity interval training for my own cardio.

#30     Mar 31, 2017