On 10-case geometry and beyond

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Simples, Jul 3, 2017.

1. I have read the Fractal Redux thread where you started.

The price cases coming out like the pyramid of Giza was very interesting. I also saw that Heroic was showing how the failsafes in a tight range can spell disaster.

Here is where I think some of Jacks other tools like volume pace come into play.

When the market starts to slide into CCC I would stop moving bookmarks.

BOT1 also says to me that volatility has gone away and it might be a good time to use the Modrian table to confirm a C turn, otherwise hold thru.

For me, I think that Jack built this system to keep traders from drifting.

It is there to keep the mind, sharp and engaged.

The act of logging keeps you actively in the moment and mapping out the future of WMCN.

The EE in my mind are a series of real time drills designed to keep the trader looking left to maintain context.

So when I see an EE I just perk up, as it might be time to take some candy from the baby.

If the EE produces a price turn, then I will look at the MRT to find out WMCN to make me click the mouse. It becomes automatic after awhile.

For me it is all about thinking in pairs and triads.

As I mentioned earlier when I realized that I could make some money anytime I wanted, my ambition to be in a big house at the top the hill just disintegrated.

I can see that you are a deeply spiritual man. What Jack wanted in my view is for the trader to experience the final AHA.

The final AHA is to realize that with a bit of focused study, the markets will give you whatever you want.

When that happens, you begin to realize that a lot of what you wanted you did not need.

I do not use JH exclusively.

What happened is that I mastered another CW technique as Jack would call it, and this teacher already read price bar by bar. So, these days I operate with complete data sets. I definitely owe that to Jack.

I am very very happy to return here and find that the Pattern is still being discussed, and that a new generation of traders are willing to take the trip to facility.

#481     Jun 12, 2018
    Sprout likes this.
  2. Sprout

Sprout

We might, here's my current operating definition and what I'm working to accomplish.

#482     Jun 17, 2018
  3. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

With all the EE talk in another thread, I decided to annotate the 2m RTY for the last hour or so.
    Maybe I got 'em labeled correct, maybe not, likely missed a few too. And actionable/trade-able it was!! Just thought I'd share.
    Always learning.

6/22/18, RTYU8, 2 minute bars
    RTY-EE.jpg

#483     Jun 22, 2018
    NeedToLearn, Sprout and Simples like this.
  4. Simples

Simples

Appreciate your insights and doubts as well, and skill :)

#484     Jun 22, 2018
  5. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

One of the things I "remembered" as I was working with EE's is the disconnect with gaussians. That is to say, they are 2 distinct, yet completely intertwined tools. Following the VTP bouncing ball is mandatory, and afaik, the only way to connect the two. Even then, lop-siding towards a favorite, whether through need, desire, comfort, lack, or laziness, is extremely simple to do. It's a conundrum for me. Decoupling my necessity of (mostly)strict adherence to matching gaussians is difficult for me. Some people think I take on Spyder's techniques. Truth is I gleaned most gaussian and point 1,2,3 stuff from/through Mak!

#485     Jun 22, 2018
    Sprout likes this.
  6. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

Debrief of todays EE stuff...

RTY-Debrief.jpg

#486     Jun 23, 2018
    Simples, JamesRoscoe and NeedToLearn like this.
  7. @tiddlywinks. There is a definite disconnect with Gaussians. What I noticed upon my return is that it appears that Jack was very heavily influenced by Al Brooks. What Jack then did was to create a volume profile that was "bar by bar". Al Brooks is the first prominent educator to start the bar by bar stuff. I find that the two methods compliment each other quite well. It takes much more work to do volume bar by bar. I have observed however that Jack adopted the idea that market events occur in threes. The market is a waltz. So it become easy to spot on a chart three occurrences of volume whether rising, falling or in between elements. Then Jack moves on the volume bands, where the vast majority of EE's occur on a breech of one or more of the bands, and a few instances where the market falls below T1 (VDU). Those are my aha moments which came from logging. What I find myself doing is checking the dependent variable and then looking to see if the independent variable supports what the independent variable should be doing. If it is not doing what it should be, then this a flaw.

#487     Jun 25, 2018
  8. Sprout

Sprout

Al Brooks started trading on Oct 19th, 1987. His first published work was in 2009.

Jack Hershey starting trading right out of college in 1957. His first post (that I've found) in misc.invest.futures was 10/23/98. His first post on ET was 2/9/2003.

When Al starting trading, Jack had been successful at it for 30yrs.

If there is any common root, age and experience bias plus logic dictates that it would be the opposite from your conclusion.

However they both cite Edwards & Magee's classic "Technical Analysis of Stock Trends v5" as a influential reference.

As for volume gaussians, for me it is useful to think in terms of degrees of "coupling" - at various TL's of price.

ymmv

#488     Jun 25, 2018
    JamesRoscoe likes this.
  9. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

Question about EE-Ab, for the group

I'm getting more "comfortable" with the EE stuff. It's actually kinda fun. Messy and quite confusing sometimes, mostly due to failsafes imo, but engaging, proactive, and... fun! I've learned a lot just since last friday! As Jack said... weekends have a purpose. :) My weekend aha is the EEs are for segments... huge, HUGE aha, FOR ME!!

As for Brooks, I have his books. I read them. Meh. I'm pretty sure my Brooks reading came AFTER i spent time learning and trading with VSA (Volume Spread Analysis). Which explains my indifference to Brooks. Idk if Brooks or VSA was first to market. VSA was and still is worthwhile, very much so!

In an experiment to get away from Gaussians directly, but keeping a strong adherence to them, Im doing the exact opposite of you... I look at the independent, and see what the dependent is doing... Volume leads price, always! Volume tells you, mandates, what you have geometrically.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    #489     Jun 25, 2018
    JamesRoscoe likes this.
  10. My only argument to this is that if you look at the posts, his trading seems to have evolved significantly since 2003. The bar by bar analysis popped up around 2010 and was refined by 2013, so there was definitely something that made him change something for whatever reason. Both interesting reading for those who can get through it.

#490     Jun 25, 2018