Noob playing around with Fib retracements and Andrew's Pitchforks *pics*

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by IronFist, Feb 3, 2007.

1. I use e-signal. i look at .382 .618 .786 1.0 1.27 and 1.618

Larry Pesavento's work has helped me alot. my trade placements are more accurate

#11     Feb 7, 2007

2. No TA works all the time :( . And actually, this is the fist time I've heard of this Andrew stuff. None of my books mention it...and i've got a lot of books.

I used to be real gung ho about all that stuff. I'd have fans, time zones, retracements, trendlines, Moving averages, time travel..all that shit. Some of it I still use, but threw out the rest.

http://www.internetnews.com/images/AHT/compx102405.png

cm69

#12     Feb 7, 2007
  3. billp

billp

Fibonacci Resistance is pretty powerful once you learn them. Never used Andrew's pitchfork as my software does not have them. But I think FR by itself without Andrew's pitchfork is sufficient.

IT is never that clear cut ie if it touch this line, it will reverse etc. I've heard combining FR with Elliot Wave is pretty good but never did learn EW.

#13     Feb 7, 2007
  4. :eek:

:D

#14     Feb 7, 2007
  5. Well, if you cant make money using time travel I think its time to hang it up and find something easier( though I dont know whats easier then time travel and trading:p )

Im just joking around..

#15     Feb 8, 2007
  6. As a former floor trader in the S&P pit, I can tell you that ALL the "locals" ever did was look at fib retracements and "pivots" such as:

H+L+C / 3 = Pivot Point

then you have the Resistance and Support Levels ( R1, S1, R2, S2, etc. )

R1 = (2xPP) - L
    S1 = (2xPP) -H

R2 = (PP-S1) + R1
    S2 = PP - (R1-S1)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pivot_point

The fibs work, along with some aspects of Elliott Wave ( such as A-B-C "measured-moves ).
    You just have to be experienced with them.

Remember, in technical analysis "less is more".
    Stick with some MA's, the fibs, and one other indicator.
    Don't get bogged down with too much stuff.
    You will wind-up "rationalizing" yourself into never pulling the trigger!

#16     Feb 8, 2007
  7. There are different kinds of pivots, which one do you use?. I mainly look at fibs, but they dont always hold up so I'm thinking about doing some research on pp's.

cm69

#17     Feb 8, 2007
  8. aleiro

aleiro

It looks like the math is right there for ya

#18     Feb 10, 2007
  9. aleiro

aleiro

I wanted to reply to the pitchfork use at the beginning of the post:
    I dont use them at all, i dont know the math behind them but from the pics it looks like channeling
    I use Fibs and added my own .118, which is dependant on the momentum of the primary trend
    oh and two words multi-frame analysis

QT totally rocks by the way

#19     Feb 10, 2007
  10. #20     Jun 20, 2020