Looking For A Trading Computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scataphagos, Dec 18, 2019.

1. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Yeah, I recommend getting a new trading computer no more than every 3 - 5 years because of changes in trade execution platforms, changes in ISP and just to stay a few steps ahead of most retail traders.

Technology moves scary fast. Seriously, one day soon fiber optics will be common place for the typical consumer at crazy cheap price and computers used by traders can also be used for gaming on the most demanding games.

wrbtrader

#31     Dec 18, 2019
    .sigma likes this.
  2. There's an issue of quality which is difficult to compare. A major benefit of workstations is that the makers intend to sell what, HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of them? Makers don't want to have troubles which require warranty service on a significant percentage of machines, so they tend to use quality parts and work out potential "issues/compatibilities". I've owned Dell workstations exclusively for like the last 15 years... even my laptop is one. Bought almost all of them off lease.

#32     Dec 18, 2019
  3. Overnight

Overnight

@wrbtrader and @Scataphagos have not whipped me yet, for my naughtiness on being dim-witted about advances in PC hardware. I claim no joy.

Ahh crap, I now see this is the hardware section. :-( Not the place for that kind of talk.

#33     Dec 18, 2019
  4. LOL! I have no intention of "whipping" you. I'm just passing along some info about "workstations for trading" and where to get a good deal.

#34     Dec 18, 2019
    easymon1 likes this.
  5. BUILD your own it is simple and you can pick out your components. when it breaks down you will know what to do to fix it and it will save you thousands in mkt money over the long run also you dont get any bloatware if you run it on LINUX

#35     Dec 18, 2019
    .sigma and Stocktracker like this.
  6. Overnight

Overnight

Yeah yeah, the Ubuntu/Puppy linux revolution. Mreh, I'm still caught up in the Windows mess.

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/looking-for-a-trading-computer.338792/page-3#post-4981555

Scat, I was just hoping for a little bit of whipping. :)

Bah, can't find the right song for the post. That makes me mad.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    #36     Dec 18, 2019
  7. Good thing this isn't a debate forum. :)

#37     Dec 18, 2019
  8. ok ok then the smart thing to do is use your head and say ok.. what other group of real geeks needs a reliable and fast computer with super low latency? hmm oh yeah GAMERS so you google best gaming computer or fastest gaming computer and use their specs and build one or have someone else build it and done.

#38     Dec 18, 2019
  9. Trader13

Trader13

Ah, it was just a matter of time before Linux showed up. And Raspberry Pi is right around the corner :)

#39     Dec 18, 2019
  10. destriero

destriero

System builders warranty the system. Any failure on the home build results in isolating the problem and the downtime associated with sourcing a replacement. My kid’s Alienware goes down and a fix or loaner within 24h.

#40     Dec 18, 2019
    .sigma, wrbtrader and trustedsource like this.