Looking For A Trading Computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scataphagos, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Overnight

Overnight

Price it out at places like https://www.newegg.com/ ?

#21     Dec 18, 2019
  2. No, you can't.

#22     Dec 18, 2019
    rb7 likes this.
  3. Overnight

Overnight

Are you claiming that the difference between the wholesale prices of the components gathered as an aggregate, and the name-brand manufacturers who sell you the completed box, no longer warrants building a machine yourself?

#23     Dec 18, 2019
  4. You're off on a different tangent. This thread is about buying "a quality workstation for trading, one generation back, and saving around 75% of the new price".

That said, I don't believe it is economical or worth the hassle(s) of BIY vs. buying a workstation from Dell, HP, or Lenovo.

#24     Dec 18, 2019
    Overnight likes this.
  5. destriero

destriero

No way.

Buying components at retail? You cannot beat spec for spec from any builder by 50%. You can’t do it cheaper, period.

#25     Dec 18, 2019
    wrbtrader likes this.
  6. Not all. Depends mostly on RAM, CPU, drives.... here's an example of a "base" model at Reviveit.io... which is plenty good for trading. $239. No "need" to spend more or have more horsepower. If you want to game with the same machine, however, you'll want more, faster.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Preci...428675?hash=item2f3ad3e703:g:vG0AAOSwHSxd78Zb

#26     Dec 18, 2019
  7. Overnight

Overnight

Ahh, I see. Yes, if you buy an older pre-assembled rig, it would be quite a cost-saving compared with DIY with all the new stuff. Mreh.

#27     Dec 18, 2019
  8. Overnight

Overnight

And I will admit something here...I am way out of the loop. The last time I speced out a PC for a self-build was in 2010ish. So I am behind the times on that bit. Chastising and whipping may commence now. :-(

#28     Dec 18, 2019
  9. I built one years ago just for the experience. Can't say it was worth it and if there was any $$ saved, it wasn't much. I see BIY for gamers and enthusiasts, but that's just me.

#29     Dec 18, 2019
  10. Overnight

Overnight

Yes, that is where the "BIY" mentality comes from in my head...I am a stubborn lad, and being a gamer, I always believed in that "build your own rig" thing. And I did well back then, building custom rigs on the cheap. But times have certainly changed, and I have not kept up with them. It is total my bad, man.

#30     Dec 18, 2019