Karen the Super Trader

Discussion in 'Options' started by JBuck, May 4, 2020.

1. JBuck

JBuck Guest

I was reviewing a newsletter from the Securities and Exchange Commission (What’s New on the SEC Website) which highlights agency activities from the past several months.

I noticed that in the SEC's December 19, 2019 newsletter that KAREN (SuperTrader) BRUTON and HOPE ADVISORS, LLC have been "Barred from associating with any broker, dealer, investment adviser, municipal securities dealer, municipal advisor, transfer agent, or nationally recognized statistical rating organization."

So it would appear that Karen the Super Trader is out of the options (and all other securities) trading business.

The initial and final SEC decisions can be read here:

https://www.sec.gov/alj/aljdec/2019/id1386cff.pdf
    https://www.sec.gov/alj/aljdec/2019/ia-5419.pdf

I wonder what Sosnoff at tastytrade thinks of this? He featured Karen on a recent (1/16/2020) tastytrade Tasty Extras segment "Quick Chat with Karen the Supertrader". I haven't watched the segment yet and the tastytrade website seems to nonfunctional at the moment but it seems a bit odd to me that having just been barred from the industry she's back on tastytrade. Thoughts?

Best

TooEffingOld likes this.
  2. can you please share with us why you so interested in gaslighting this ‘old’ topic ? Were you injured in anyway by her or the Sos? There are so many really important topics nowadays, and yet, you seem to be interested in picking up ‘crap’ off the floor rather nickels or dims..

3. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

I find it kinda amusing. Sounds like you're being triggered^^ Care to leaborate?

MKTrader likes this.
  4. MKTrader

MKTrader

And option sellers are known for picking up dimes in front of freight trains (including my younger/dumber self)...It's always a good reminder of how crazy that is. Karen was the ultimate example of this.

That's an interesting (and perhaps telling) metaphor you used there...

darwin666, ironchef and taowave like this.
  5. MKTrader

MKTrader

I'm guessing he's a Sosnoff/Tastytrade fan...

As for Karen being out of the options business, it might have been fun to have several sequels...Karen the SuperDuper Trader.... The Margin Strikes Back...etc.

Lou Friedman likes this.
  6. No need to guess, here is where I stand on this...
    Karen the Supertrader speaking at tastytrade ‘s Geeks on Parade

and here

Karen the Supertrader speaking at tastytrade ‘s Geeks on Parade

7. MM-- fair question -- see above my responses.. Evidently, I am always being triggered by sheer lack of decency... and I am not Tom's boy....:>) :D

8. Pekelo

Pekelo

Sure you are not. So just one question for Tom: After Karen has been a legally recognized FRAUD, why is he still parading her as a industry leader?

I know, I know, now you will come with your usual strawman argument of "but he achieved so much, bla bla bla" That wasn't the question my friend. Read it again. The question is again, and slower:

Why Tom is putting a fraud on the podium to learn from?

asymptote likes this.
  9. Pekelo-- How many sharks are swimming in these waters? Better yet, how many SOBs are posting, re- posting, pretending, imposing, etc..etc.. You are old enough to have seen it all. If it makes you feel a better person/trader then go ahead and expose them all.. Make it you life mission too. I do respect your longevity... but I choose to attend to better things with my time.

As for your question: Perhaps Tom truly believes in giving a second chance.....even to the convicted ones. After all, that would be the compassionate thing to do (although, I don't believe she deserves it)
    :D:D

Cheers
    SA

10. MKTrader

MKTrader

I don't think Karen intended to be a shark at all. She was an accountant who probably thought being "good with numbers" meant she could develop a trading system that others haven't thought of...and outsider who could "think outside the box" of the industry or something. I'm sure she had some idea that a large move could cause a pretty big loss, but I doubt she really understood the Greeks or what could happen. It's probably good it happened when it did (like 2015-2017?) and not the 2018 Volmegeddon or COVID-19 March 2020 which dwarfed anything we've seen since 1987's Black Monday crash.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    #10     May 4, 2020