Is trading Gambling or not .."What say You" Vote here.

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by ElectricSavant, Apr 10, 2005.

Is Trading Gambling or not

This poll will close on Jan 12, 2060 at 11:25 AM.
  1. Gambling

460 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Not Gambling

854 vote(s)
    65.0%
  1. ironchef

ironchef

Me too, a retail POS who is trading a few contracts. But I trade thinly traded options, sometimes my 2 D-OTM contracts are the only OI. :banghead:

#1241     Aug 3, 2019
  2. It can be both - depending on your approach to trading.

I prefer probabilities.

#1242     Aug 3, 2019
    comagnum likes this.
  3. Could that also be denial?

#1243     Aug 3, 2019
  4. A lot of people think that gambling is simply throwing your money away. For 95% of people who gamble, it is. That is, if skiing, fishing, hunting, drinking, bowling, etc is throwing money away. Many of these people actually feel that the entertainment value is worth the money that they lose, and many of these are able to keep their losses down to a very small amount through smart money management. Then there is a minority who actually make money gambling. Not all gambling is pure chance minus the house rake. Some forms of gambling reward those who develop skill at their game.

For a lot of traders, or wannabe traders, trading is simply throwing money away. For some of those, the entertainment value is worth the losses, and for some, the losses are kept small through smart money management. For a small minority, there is money to be made trading. It is not all just chance, minus the house rake (spread and commissions).

For some reason, losing money trading is honorable and losing money gambling is shameful. Not sure I understand that. And somehow those who make a living gambling are dishonest and those who make a living trading are just very very smart. Not sure I understand that, either.

Not saying everybody should start playing cards for significant stakes. However, neither do I think just anybody and everybody ought to start trading. Me, I prefer trading. I enjoy it more and I can get a seat at the table without even putting drawers on.

#1244     Aug 3, 2019
    Evermore2017 and themickey like this.
  5. Come again?

#1245     Aug 4, 2019
  6. Aaronpp

Aaronpp

In a way trading can be considered a game of chance because like Poker, you need advanced knowledge, a very long overview, patience and luck. The odds of losing exist and as much as you try to avoid it can happen even though you manage your movements very well and have years of experience, your success will be highly based on probabilities.

#1246     Aug 14, 2019
  7. Definitely not. It takes a lot of time to master trading and grab a good hold on it. How can we compare it to gambling, which is just based on luck and done out of addiction. They are just not similar.

#1247     Aug 17, 2019
  8. So is Day-Trading "not gambling"?

#1248     Aug 17, 2019
  9. So if you do not lose is that "not gambling"?

#1249     Aug 17, 2019
  10. If a trader is not addicted..is he "Not Gambling"

Don't forget to vote folks... what say you?

#1250     Aug 17, 2019