Initial margins for CME

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by cafeole, Jan 9, 2020.

1. cafeole

cafeole

This seems to be very basic, but I have searched CME and can only find the maintenance margin listed for NQ and ES. Can someone point me to the actual initial numbers? When I search the web, I get different values depending on the broker.

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

3. Overnight

Overnight

It is so basic it is eluding you.

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/equity-margins-up-again.339359/

And the fact that you get different values for different brokers is because the brokers are following minimum guidelines, but have the right to impose whatever initial they wish upon their clients. They can go as high as they want, and can go below minimums if they wish (The so-called day-trading margins).

If you did not have me on ignore/block or whatever, you would have known this long ago, as I have posted about this many times. So had Old Man Morse, in fact. Sheesh.

4. cafeole

cafeole

It does. Thanks Robert.

5. Overnight

Overnight

What is the irony that you and I were responding to this post at the same damned time, and I thought of you in my response? Funky.

Robert Morse likes this.
  6. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

You multiply the maintenance margin by 1.1 (10%) and you get initial.

7. Overnight

Overnight

Damnit Matt, I was hoping he'd figure the math out on his own! Zzzztttt to you!

spanforcafeole.JPG

Ahhh, he still has me on ignore. So he would not have seen this anyways. :-\

8. cafeole

cafeole

Thanks Matt.

9. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

You are welcome.
    Glad to help.