Equity margins up again...

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Overnight, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Overnight

Overnight

2. SteveM

SteveM

I remember when Silver futures crossed $45 in 2011, and the CME increased margin rates....silver prices collapsed a couple of days later.

3. CannonTrading_Ilan

CannonTrading_Ilan Sponsor

Yup, looks like today after the close slight increase on stock index futures and a few other markets. You can see the margins when updated or go into effect after today's close at:

https://www.cannontrading.com/services/futures-trading-margins

Please note multiple key margin increases, per attached from CME:

ES $6930 --> $7260

NQ $7960 --> $8250

YM $5500 --> 6050

RTY $3300 --> $3520

GC $4950 --> $5500

SI $5720 --> $6050

HG $2640 --> 2970

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.
  4. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

murray t turtle likes this.
  5. destriero

destriero

ES leverage of almost 23x. I think you'll live.

Nobert, speedo and CannonTrading_Ilan like this.
  6. CannonTrading_Ilan

CannonTrading_Ilan Sponsor

My "better clients" try to use 50% or 100% of the overnight margins even when day trading even though we offer as low as $500 for day trading.

Overnight likes this.
  7. Overnight

Overnight

Indeed, that is how I trade...I look at an entry I am about to take and think to myself, for example, "K, current initial on this one contract is 5500." The broker daytrade margin is 1000. I don't see it that way, because by allowing myself the full margin I can give myself more room on a possible swing, rather than going max level of the day margin, which to me is suicidal.

8. %%
    I don't remember that exactly ;
    but I do remember a Trading Magazine chart had a chart of the many silVer margin increases/price, good uptrend for 52 weeks.............................................................................. I don't really have an opinion on the silver uptrend, if you think its going to $45 +50+, fine with me. DOW + margin does looks to HI; but ES, NasdaQ, QQQ + SPY looks fine. DOW , which I seldom trade, tends to get too HI, but by end of year, amazing how 52 weeks almost always helps LOL

9. schizo

schizo

Gonzo86 and CannonTrading_Ilan like this.