How to overcome the inability to accept small losses when wrong on trades?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by _eug_, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Spooz Top 2

Spooz Top 2

Those that can, do & demonstrate....... LL can`t, so pretends to teach & offer you this......

[​IMG]
    Do yourself a favor & tell him to keep what he is shoveling......

#41     Apr 22, 2018
  2. Never thought I would ever put anyone on ignore on ET but you just became my first.

#42     Apr 22, 2018
    CSEtrader and Spooz Top 2 like this.
  3. qxr1011

qxr1011

trend may be ended in one tf but still exist in another one
    also there may be combination of s/r in different tf, etc, etc

the problem with mechanical trading its like a Procrustean bed can break the legs or cut the head of the trader based on defined parameters which may not take in account some an ordinary situations

so imho discretion is better.

but discretion should not mean abandoning rules - just the proper application of the proper rule

the complications usually arise when the wannabe trader still not sure which of his rules are real (based on market fundamentals) and which are baseless (based on imaginary fundamentals) i.e one is still in the process of discovery but should play as if all his rules are right, this is when the trader can lose his mind and stamina.. and money

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    #43     Apr 23, 2018
    _eug_ likes this.
  4. %%
    I alsoprefer ''plain speaking'' on Sunday or any day. I mostly agree ; except i consider a margin call not near as serious as blowing up/out an account.I also agree psychology is not his problem; i have very few psychobabble books , but Dr Van Tharp has some good counsel.:cool::cool::caution::caution:

#44     Apr 23, 2018
    Xela likes this.
  5. Overnight

Overnight

That is fake poo if I ever saw it. There are ways one can tell. Especially if one has ever picked up real poo with their bare hands.

(Note lack of poo smudge-marks on the poo-holder's hand. Unless it parachuted from the sky perfectly onto said poo-holder's hand.)

#45     Apr 23, 2018
    murray t turtle likes this.
  6. baro-san

baro-san

One method is that once in the trade, with a hard stop in place, to also start looking for an entry in the opposite direction, and use it, mechanically, to exit if it happens before the price hits your stop. Don't use it to reverse, if you trade only in the dominant direction of the next slower time frame!

#46     Apr 24, 2018
  7. zenemini

zenemini

I trade price levels, so time frame variables are not the consideration for me they might be for someone else. The time frame for a trade might be just a few minutes, and other times it may be 3 or 4 days. It all depends how long it takes for the market to move to my target or stop me out. Losers are usually quick. During periods of high volatility the targets are larger, and while many are reached within the session the trade is opened, there are times a trade may require several sessions to move to target.

#47     Apr 24, 2018
  8. qxr1011

qxr1011

tf is periods on the charts,

anyway good luck to u

#48     Apr 24, 2018
  9. zenemini

zenemini

No problem, I knew what you meant. But time frame, strictly speaking, is the period of time over which something takes place. You are referring to the chart's individual bar interval. Bar interval is of little relevance to me. For example, the ES rally high on 4/18/2018 was 2718.50. That will be the high no matter how your chose to display the data. Good luck to you as well.

#49     Apr 24, 2018
  10. qxr1011

qxr1011

correct

#50     Apr 24, 2018