Guru's pursuit of the Holy Grail

Discussion in 'Journals' started by guru, Aug 26, 2020.

1. I’m ok thx - I read for occasional interest. I don’t need your strategy thanks to get ‘rich’… I already am. :)

Rather, I am just commenting on the hilarity of 11 pages discussion about your secret strategy while not revealing anything about it. What’s the actual point of this? Perhaps the comedy is lost on everyone but me.

Anyhow. Just wanted to let you know you’re providing comedy. Wish you all the best with your secret guru strategy.

I’m off to play in the Lost City of Atlantis. Buh byeee

#111     Aug 29, 2021
  2. guru

guru

In that case every blog, tweet and article from traders, investors and hedge funds is hilarious because no one spills their secrets. And I agree, as I’m doing this exactly for fun.
    Some people actually think that a “guru” will give them all the secrets and enlightenment, while I’m glad you’ve put the two and two together and figured out that “guru” + “secret strategy” won’t actually make you more rich or smarter than you already are. You must feel very good about being so intelligent to figure this out, and you’re rich too, so congrats! I’d love to hear what other obvious things you’ve figured out and would like to comment on, as that it just as hilarious.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    #112     Aug 29, 2021
    ChipShotTrader likes this.
  3. The only thing you’re doing sunny Jim is eating Cheerios in your mother’s basement.

The absolute hilarity of bragging via an iPhone message that you’ve made someone a millionaire, without a slither of proof.

Yah. Your holy grail is so good that everyone you speak to in Facebook groups is making millions. Yet you had to come on Elitetrader and tell everyone about it.

teehee

Mom, I’ll be down for dinner in 10 minutes! I’m telling my friends online that I’m super cool millionaire mr man.

Moooooom, I don’t want cheesy poofs!

#113     Aug 29, 2021
  4. qlai

qlai

@InAllHonesty, a member with 50 posts should not be so quick to judge a member with over 2k likes. If you here for the right reasons that is.

#114     Aug 29, 2021
    vinc likes this.
  5. My reason - just having a conversation with all the other millionaires on here. Chill out!

Learning how to contain some volatility.

The internet is funny. I’m here just to laugh at the shit you’ll believe.

#115     Aug 29, 2021
  6. vinc

vinc

likes prove shit..some people write comments just to get likes..check how many 'directional traders' get likes here whithout a slightest hint of proof they actually trade..Dest detects them in no time:) check how many likes they have..
    here, i gave you a like:)

#116     Aug 30, 2021
  7. vinc

vinc

here,read this:

'
    A few things that it does or aims to do:
    - Perfect balancing of Delta, Gamma, Vega, 2nd order Greeks, etc - without understanding or calculating any of them. I utilize my own math but B&S can always be used later to measure the Greeks.
    - Arbitraging volatility smiles, skews, inefficiencies and market microstructure mispricings.
    - Trading index and equity options without knowing or caring which way the market will turn.
    - "solving" VIX, UVXY and VXX.
    - Profiting off of hedges (VIX options) even when they aren't used.
    - "Betting" on and between earnings with an edge of 75% win rate and average win higher than average loss.
    - Empirical, statistical and mathematical option price projections all matching each other.
    - Creating complex option orders with legs across multiple strikes and expirys, with the highest reward-to-risk possible.
    - Trading options efficiently and across underlyings.
    - $Billions in high-performance trading capacity.
    - Extensive hedging like Universa.
    - Reasonable margin utilization, within the limits imposed by Interactive Brokers.

I now have most of the above implemented and it seems to work beyond my wildest expectations,'

see the point already?wht doest it look like to you?? yeah,a package,ready to be sold:)

#117     Aug 30, 2021
  8. qlai

qlai

Sold to whom? What so you mean “seems to work?”

#118     Aug 30, 2021
  9. guru

guru

This is actually a valid point, and a question I'm pondering but have no one to discuss with. You don't have to buy anything, so it should not be a worry for you or anyone else here. If I start selling something then I won't even be here anymore, especially that no one here buys anything anyway :)
    In fact, I was thinking about this being my last post on ET: https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/gurus-pursuit-of-the-holy-grail.349297/page-9#post-5444887
    (but I'd still respond to comments, which I'm doing here)

In the past I was streaming free automated stock trades and a few people are still asking if I can continue doing that, which means they were useful. I am considering doing that with options as well, for free, so it's not like I'm trying to collect a few dollars here and there. And trading was temporary for me, as I didn't plan on fiddling with some strategies all day long, just find a good way to invest some money (potentially via an automated system) and move on.
    But then I found options and I'm intrigued ever since, while they keep me busy full time and I am just creating more and more features and tech for my own use. In the end I did create pretty good tech that could even run a hedge fund, but it's not like that's so easy to do. And I would need people smarter than myself to validate and extract more potential out of what I have. I'm trading options strategies on my own, but that's a lot of work too, and I'm not sure I couldn't do better doing something else. Actually I did close a small tech company to focus on trading & options for a while, so I already gave up quite a lot, including actually selling something and growing a business unrelated to trading. While the issue with trading option strategies is that it's all based on odds, and you'd have to make equal bets for those odds to play out. For example if I'd want to trade earnings on S&P 500 companies then I'd have to include all the large companies and make about $50K bet per trade, on each of 500 companies. That's not feasible for me. And it's also the reason why retail traders cannot trade options properly. They'll bet $1K on one company earnings and maybe triple it, then will bet $20K on AMZN or NFLX and lose it all. But if the odds are, say, 51% to win 10% vs losing 8% on average (though I may be able to do much better), then the edge is small and you'll have to make equal bets just to survive occasional misses, just like in BlackJack, as it's the numbers game. And the same applies to non-earnings. I can have edges in various ways of trading options, but not always a way to properly utilize it. Some edges can be very useful in day trading, but I'm not a trader and make mistakes, I'm not glued to monitor watching for big movers, as well as I'm very risk averse, while someone making bold moves could potentially make a fortune using similar approaches.

Anyway, let's assume that you have variety of top/amazing strategies & edges for trading options, the actual Holy Grail, that now is in your hands, but without a way to fully and properly utilize it. It's like knowing the secrets of Egyptian pyramids. But if you release that info publicly for free then everyone else will sell it and benefit from it, except for you. There will be all kinds of training materials made and sold behind your back, commercial products, etc.
    This actually happened to me before. I've open-sourced some software that later some company converted to commercial product and laughed in my face about what they can do with it while what I cannot. Happens every day, actually. I even seen it happened here when one person accused another of packaging and selling his trading method. Other people are simply arrogant and expect, want, and demand to be given everything for free, making them rich, quick. And this is the reason why I also don't plan to deal with this stuff anymore, and I'm out of ET. I may only respond to further comments here.
    Back to my hypothetical situation & question: what would you do with The Holy Grail?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    #119     Aug 30, 2021
  10. ph1l

ph1l

What you have now is a dream that you think might be The Holy Grail of trading.

This would be hard to sell to anybody with the means to implement it.

So, I suggest you split your ideas into parts where each part does not reveal any secrets that someone could take advantage of. Then, you can hire some number of individuals or companies to automate the parts (e.g., from https://www.upwork.com/hire/stock-options-freelancers/).

Once you combine the parts to get a fully-automated system, you can run the system. If the system is successful for some time, you would find it easier to sell, license, or just keep running yourself.

#120     Aug 30, 2021
    guru likes this.