Guru's pursuit of the Holy Grail

Discussion in 'Journals' started by guru, Aug 26, 2020.

1. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Biggest game changer when trading SPY etc is religiously using the TRIN.

Trin > 1.5 = short bias
    Trin < .7 = long bias
    Trin near 1 = stay clear

Test it, you'll be impressed

#81     Jan 2, 2021
  2. guru

guru

Thanks, I was thinking about using it, but sometimes I'm getting opposite signals from my own SPY trading bot that is 90% accurate:
    https://deustrader.com/zeus_longus_1.html
    upload_2021-1-2_14-42-37.png
    (though my bot learned to cheat by waiting for SPY to recover, which may not be a bad approach for averaging down SPY stock while trading it along the way, but isn't necessarily good for options. I may write about this later)

Generally there is no great predictor and if any signal is wrong then I may lose opportunities by not getting into a position, so I may actually buy when others are selling.
    At least with options I can hedge, while also needing pullbacks just so I can enter new trades I've been waiting for. And I need to rely less on predicting stuff, but more on technical/mathematical/statistical odds.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    #82     Jan 2, 2021
    .sigma likes this.
  3. Trin was at 0.64 today while the market ripped down 2.5%.

Not impressed...

#83     Jan 4, 2021
  4. .sigma

.sigma

TRIN? is this a technical indicator?

#84     Jan 5, 2021
  5. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

#85     Jan 5, 2021
    .sigma likes this.
  6. guru

guru

I didn't want to post much recently, especially my performance, as I've traded some GME options couple weeks ago and was waiting (and still am) for those option prices to stabilize, and to be able to close them. Many show large profit, but aren't liquid enough to close positions, so I'm exiting slowly every day.
    I'm also trying not to look at my account value/performance, so I can focus on each trade. Just checked today and was a bit surprised with the performance.

I actually didn't even plan to trade much in January and didn't have as many positions as I'd like, but still managed to do well, with profits trickling in from options on various stocks, ETFs and indexes, and without large losses anywhere.
    My account shows being 20%+ up YTD, but it may be a bit less due to owning various illiquid options. While even my today's final YTD performance shown below at 25% is pretty much invalid due to brokers' inability to correctly calculate option prices, especially after bids/asks are pulled at market close.

upload_2021-2-12_14-24-11.png

upload_2021-2-12_14-38-5.png

upload_2021-2-12_15-1-49.png

Overall I can't complain, but I've been busy with a few other things and wish I had more time to work on trading and coding, because there is always more to do, to understand, and to discover.
    In the past I've been rating my options strategies from 1-10, but as I improve my system and my understanding of options, I keep finding better and better strategies and running out of scale, now rating some setups at 11 and 12.
    At this point I'm sure the Holy Grail exists, but it is still fluid and ever elusive. Currently I believe it comes down to containing the volatility and improving the stability of an options portfolio, while still being able to mix-in lots of options strategies. I'll get there when I can focus on this again, which will be soon.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    #86     Feb 12, 2021
    expiated, .sigma, jtrader33 and 3 others like this.
  7. i also have clov and Tesla.the positions you are holding are only naked calls or other complex option legs?

#87     Feb 12, 2021
  8. guru

guru

On CLOV I have basic call spreads for August, so it’s an unhedged bet, mainly because they didn’t have enough option strikes to play with.
    On TSLA I have a few complex positions, playing it both ways, but the position can fluctuate a lot while I’m also testing a new strategy on it.

#88     Feb 12, 2021
    vanzandt likes this.
  9. guru

guru

It's confirmed. The Holy Grail does exist (in options). And I have it.
    I now possess the total and complete knowledge of the options universe, and have unsurpassed clarity and understanding of every options trading strategy that anyone can think of, as well as those that no one has thought of.
    But I don't want to have to trade for the next 10+ years to multiply my account 100-fold, or whatever. So I'm going to sell it. For $1 billion. Watch me.

#89     Aug 25, 2021
    cesfx, KCalhoun and qlai like this.
  10. qlai

qlai

Just 1B for the holy grail?! What amount of time and money is needed to break even on the investment? But congrats anyway!

#90     Aug 25, 2021
    SPX Options Trader likes this.