Good brand for Coenzyme Q10 on Amazon?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bugenhagen, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

A family friend has stage 4 liver cancer, just confirmed as metastasized to lung. She has decided to stop treatment, chemo was too rough. She is a little jaundiced, liver function is getting weaker.

I'm looking for some Q10 for her as I've been told it can improve energy levels in liver cancer patients. This is not a cure, just to give her a bit of a boost and help her feel better. I know a brand from the UK that was good but not available in the US to ship abroad directly (Colombia).

Could anyone recommend any brands they feel are reliable/good quality? I'm guessing as she is a small enough woman, 67, about 200-300mg a day would be ok, looking at a couple of trials. Maybe in 100mg capsules? I want enough to be effective but not risk further harm etc. by overloading her liver. She has been taking Centrum Advance which she loves and is helping her energy.

I know I could look by popular etc. just I don't trust Amazon in the past two years with fake reviews and inferior stuff... "Amazon's choice" is something I have learned to be very wary of :)

Appreciated!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  2. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

Actually, having seen things like Milk Thistle (I'm not sure it will really help) readily available for shipping to Colombia I assumed Q10 could be and NONE of the brands go there. Perhaps it is classified differently to other supplements.

I'll have to use a Florida re-shipper.

In this case, any brand from any US supplier even not on Amazon would be great if anyone has strong conviction a brand is good?

3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Bugenhagen likes this.
  4. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

I'll look at Ubiquinol thank you. Yes, it is fairly expensive (not a problem) but with that runs the risk of fakes etc.

Edit: this seems to explain it

5. Pekelo

Pekelo

I edited my earlier post, I am not sure you saw the link to Life Extension's product. They are reliable and no fakes...

Bugenhagen likes this.
  6. destriero

destriero

Don't listen to him. Ubiquinol isn't necessary even in liver cancer/mets. Read about the Q-cycle.

Look over this search here: https://www.elitetrader.com/et/search/10131210/?q=coq10&o=date&c[node]=81

She'll need more than 100mg. She should be taking 800mg at waking. Past Noon and it can cause insomnia.

Kaneka is the source for all of the better brands (Japan).

Do NOT use capsules. Muse be taken with a fatty meal or a tbsp of coconut oil. Soft gels are fine.

Best practice is to heat 14oz of coconut oil in a sauce pan and reintroduce it to the glass jar and the contents of two bottles of this:

A teaspoon of this (once cooled) each morning at waking.

Either the soft gels or coconut oil prep.

Bugenhagen likes this.
  7. destriero

destriero

Bugenhagen likes this.
  8. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

Cheers Dest, I'll need to up her slowly then. I have done a lot of hospice helping out in my time (making tea, showing visitors about, fundraising etc.) and heard of every supplement and magical potion but CoQ10 plus any halfway decent multivitamin filters through the noise as probably does help. She is still fine to eat a salad with olive oil to aid absorption.

I'll get reading! :)

9. destriero

destriero

She can take the soft gels at waking w/o food as it's in soy oil or whatever. An internist buddy of mine did plasma conc when taking caps vs. coconut oil and the PC was 4x higher with the coconut oil prep.

She's gotta take the daily dose at waking, though. Start with 400mg to see how she sleeps.

volente_00 and Bugenhagen like this.
  10. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

Good stuff!

I've just got her to start on a minimal carb Mediterranean diet for general inflammation reduction (worked for me) and green juice at breakfast (kale or spinach/lots of celery/cucumber/parsley/apple for less gag reflex ;) ). Off the crappy greasy corn empanada snacks and such. She seems happy with all that. Plenty of coconut oil seems a good idea.

Years ago I played around with making liposomally encapsulated C as advised by a scientist friend at Marie Curie Cancer Care on a hunch it might help with my elderly aunt's inoperable diverticulitis and actually it did she swears. At least she had the condition pretty bad for nearly a year and she was feeling normal again in two weeks on the goop. I might look into doing the same with CoQ10 for myself but I'll stick with the gel caps/power for this lady.

#10     Dec 13, 2019