Following or fading the trend on indicies. What's the best strategy?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Liberty Market Investment, Oct 16, 2019.

1. As some of you might now, LMI is currently holding the open Traders' Contest where everyone can see how other people trade (including trades history and open positions)

It's interesting to observe how different traders are approaching the same market situation.
    Let's look at just an example of 2 opposite sentiments for the same trading day

upload_2019-10-16_0-15-39.png

upload_2019-10-16_0-15-48.png

I guess it's easy to see that trader 1 did much better that day. He's actually driving full speed to win a free Practice Session Right now.

Being a trend-follower myself, I love to see people pocketing a good profit by taking 1 good trade in the trend direction.

What about you guys? Would you say its easier to trade trends on CME indices than let's say currencies?

2. maxinger

maxinger

Trader #2 - counter trend or Kamikazae trader?
    I wouldn't call that trend reversal trading except for SHORT #6 & #7.

Interestingly his mind was thinking very clearly ;
    short short short short short

Amatrue likes this.
  3. tomorton

tomorton

Of all chart TA features, many traders are more afraid of trends than any other. What are they thinking?

murray t turtle likes this.
  4. dozu888

dozu888

Both are trading noise.

5. tomorton

tomorton

Maybe, maybe not.

But in any case, why are some traders so much more distrustful of trends than of some other patterns / chart features / price behaviours?

6. maxinger

maxinger

huh?

I trade similar to trader # 1.
    all the best trader # 1 !!!! That's the way to trade.

when I was newbie trader, I traded very similar to trader #2.
    those were my very dark and miserable and horrible days.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  7. %%
    Including but not limited to 2 choices.......
    Monopoly, make believe money/contest money; tends to be different from real life.

[2] Many are so highly leveraged;
    thier broker auto sells thier position. So with most of the stock market millionaires made on the trend/long side;most will not pay the price for that. Silver +/contract has some good trends both ways. But again ,silVer cash is doing better, last price today anyway.LOL:caution::caution:. I'm glad i entered one trading contest; may help some.........................................................

8. Did you enter the LMI Trading Contest?

murray t turtle likes this.
  9. notagain

notagain

trader 1, opening range breakout
    Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 4.30.31 PM.png

10. %%
    Stock Index derivative contest.Contest was only for one week,so i had to take the liberty of short term trading, cant count on only 7 days to solve a big ETF/Index gap, even if that is a reasonable time period.
    Your contest had better/wiser rules/position limits;
    the one i was in, had none+ sure enough ,LOL, many blew up, $50 ,000 demo account/ cash prizes.:D:D,:D:D:D:D:D

#10     Oct 16, 2019