Florida high school under lockdown after reports of shooter, victims, police say

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tsing Tao, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Awesome. Now what do you do with the estimated 8.2 million AR15 platform rifles that are already in circulation?

#71     Feb 15, 2018
  2. Actually, drunk drivers have been convicted of second degree murder. Where the drunk driver knows or should know that they are dangerous behind the wheel after drinking and they drink, get behind the wheel, and kill someone, they are typically looking at twenty years for each death.

Although the world watches American movie and its violence, many countries have more socially responsible T.V. programming. Their young is exposed less to T.V. violence. In addition, in many other countries, the family unit is more intact than in the U.S.

Look at Switzerland, for example. Many residents there have automatic weapons stored in their fallout shelters. I have yet to hear of any issues from that part of the world yet.

Guns just don’t seem to be the issue to me. The lack of parental involvement and the near continual exposure of violence that U.S. children are exposed to seems to be the likely underlying cause of school children gun violence.

#72     Feb 15, 2018
    Optionpro007 likes this.
  3. Poindexter

Poindexter

It's not an "old chestnut" Mr. Frederick, it's precisely the purpose of the Second Amendment. Your views are as ignorant as they are irrelevant. Read the Federalist Papers and then ask yourself how long any oppressive regime would last if their people were armed. But since you're so deluded you believe you know better than our founders, I doubt you'll change what's left of your mind.

#73     Feb 15, 2018
    Piptaker, Arnie, Tom B and 1 other person like this.
  4. schweiz

schweiz

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    #74     Feb 15, 2018
  5. cockroach.gif

#75     Feb 15, 2018
    schweiz and Slartibartfast like this.
  6. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

I actually believe that some reform of gun laws are needed. This puts me at odds with a number of posters on ET and the NRA.

Similar to vaccines, the manufacturers and/or importers of guns should pay a fee for each unit to a fund that is used to compensate victims of those who use guns improperly. Vaccines do this now for people who endure severe side effects.

Of course the above puts me at odds with the NRA and others, but I believe some types of reforms are needed in gun laws. Additionally there should be a focus on requiring proper training, getting criminal using guns off the streets for long periods of time, and nationwide laws regarding concealed-carry & permitting.

The federal government has already defined in law that they can legally restrict what guns you are allowed to own; this is why we cannot walk around the streets with machine guns (fully automatic weapons) and rocket grenade launchers. These restrictions are not deemed to be a violation of your second amendment rights -- which also means the federal government can certainly (and legally) extend the restrictions to magazine sizes, weapons types, bump stocks, and other gun related items --- which I believe at some point they will do.

There also needs to be measures taken to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally unfit. This character in the school shooting being one example. If you are expelled from a school for making threats then you should not legally be purchasing guns for some defined period of time until a professional who provides you with treatment pronounces you are mentally sound.

Generally I believe we need better screening when someone purchases a gun in the U.S. - so people with mental illness cannot get their hands on weapons. There are plenty of others that disagree with me about further gun regulations but I think the time has arrived to come together and address the issue.

IMO -- the following things are needed in the U.S.:

1) Require all private guns sales be registered with the government.
    2) Background screening for all gun purchases.
    3) Increase buyback programs to get guns off the streets.
    4) Mandatory minimum of 10 years for a drug or robbery crime committed with a gun.
    5) Destruction of all guns seized in crimes (unless it was stolen and the original owner is obvious).
    6) Make bump stocks illegal.
    7) Reduce allowed magazine sizes.
    8) Get gun education back into schools (like when I was a kid).

Some of my previous thoughts on gun control on ET...

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/thre...-what-else-is-new.314795/page-14#post-4546369

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/thre...-most-moral-issues.316581/page-6#post-4575922

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/thre...-make-a-difference.315177/page-3#post-4548566

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/thre...-what-else-is-new.314795/page-15#post-4546557

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/thre...-what-else-is-new.314795/page-15#post-4546456

#76     Feb 15, 2018
    Sprout and RedDuke like this.
  7. Some of the UN black helicopter boys just damaged their screens.

#77     Feb 15, 2018
    Frederick Foresight likes this.
  8. 1. As far as the shooting news I read last few years, part of the guns used for mass killing were just acquired according to emotional short-term plans. Rather than relatively long-term plans (say, wanting to kill many people 5 or 10 years later).

That short-term plans were probably triggered by recent arguments/incidents encountered not too far from the killing incidents.

2. We would have to assume the large number of powerful guns sold longer than say 3 years should be kept in stable minds/hands with reasonably secure safe-keeping procedures/places.

Checking the guns buying for the last 3 years might be just a one off job, that should be worthwhile to do.

3. The process mentioned last post is to start checking pro-actively from the point of Inquiring any powerful guns. Rather than actually buying, that would be probably already too late.

When the background of an inquiring person can be checked with her/his current or recent workplace organisations for whether any potentially problematic issues. The inquiring person needs to talk to at least a couple of professional (mental health related or else) for getting approval of buying guns.

Probably NRA should even support or promote this approach.

Or Trump would be able to do a good deal this way this time! Potentially save many many many lives for the years to come. Why not?

Just 2 cents.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    #78     Feb 15, 2018
  9. elderado

elderado

You state that "mental heath (sic) in the US is a serious problem." Yet, in order for the problem to be solved, it has to be recognized first. We don't know what happened in this case with the school/parent interactions, what the adoptive parents did, how they raised him, we actually know nothing, except that they're dead.

How many times have you heard parents say "but my son is a good boy"?

#79     Feb 15, 2018
  10. I have watched some Canadian T.V. The programming seemed much more society friendly to me than U.S. T.V. If what you say is true about global T.V. programming, my next question would be when did this happen and are there countries in the future that will experience the that same problems we are?

Not that I’m disagreeing with you, but could you be more specific about: Mental heath is the US is a serious problem. (that can be helped)?”

Besides, I, myself am getting better every day. In every way! Ha ha! - Pink

#80     Feb 15, 2018