Currency of stock prices

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Bigchazza, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Bigchazza

Bigchazza

Hi. I am using the free Aplha Vantage API to build a backtesting/automated trade system. I'm just looking at stocks right now, so that is the only instrument I pull from the API. I notice that US stocks are in dollars and UK ones in pence, but there is nothing to indicate this difference within the data (I'm talking about the denomination difference, not the currency - if US were in cents and UK in pennies it would be the same denomination). This convention seems to be the same on Yahoo Finance and the couple of brokers I have access to. To make things even more confusing, UK ETFs are in GBP on all these platforms.

This is causing me a bit of a headache because I need my denominations to be consistent between currencies. Or if they're not, at least predictably inconsistent!

Is there some stock price currency convention that I am not party to?

2. ZBZB

ZBZB

You have worked it out. It does not change.

calvinp239 and Bigchazza like this.
  3. jharmon

jharmon

Bigchazza likes this.
  4. Bigchazza

Bigchazza

A cheap retail service for a cheap retail guy! But yes I am aware of potential limitations of using this level of service. Serves the purpose for constructing the mechanical side and (or so I thought) backtesting strategies - I'll do some more looking into that. I intended to use broker data (probably IB) for going live.