Is Alpha Vantage dead ?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by terminalbar9742, Jul 7, 2020.

1. So I have been using Alpha vantage as a lot of people after yahoo finance shut down. It was fine until recently when the API just stop working without any warnings from the company. The following data is now gone:

+ US stocks are now end of day only
    + LSE
    + NSE
    + ASX
    + Nordic and Baltic exchanges
    + Moscow exchange
    + Istanbul exchange
    .. and possibly more.

It looks like the exchanges finally got to them and they are not licensed to distribute any of these data. Is it time to say good bye to another free API or someone know what is going on?

2. Nevermind, I found another post here:

Alpha vantage is unlicensed vendor and the exchange is shutting them down.

3. jharmon

jharmon

Lots more of them out there too. I see Finnhub is being called out on Reddit. Didn't they fake post here a while back?

4. That I'm not aware of. Let me try Finnhub out and see. However it looks like they are only providing US market data at this point. You need to be an Enterprise client to access oversea markets.

Any recommendation for authorized vendors that provide multiple markets like Alpha Vantage at an affordable price?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  5. jharmon

jharmon

FinnHub appears to be trying clone the business model of others out there like Polygon (who sponsor this forum I think, and appear to be legitimate). Polygon openly disclose their data sources - FinnHub disclose nothing.

Hiding behind "you need to be an enterprise client" is code for "we aren't authorized but if you pay us enough we might be able to sell your our data scraping services."

Caveat emptor. I wouldn't want to be relying on any service from a startup for trading.

6. Polygon.io

Polygon.io Sponsor

Just to offer some insight: There are exchange fees per user for real-time data (excluding IEX). So any vendor offering this data for free is probably not legitimate. Finnhub for example has been sent several cease and desist letters by exchange(s).

Also, there are different rules vendors must follow for pro vs non-pro users, as well as different exchange fees. We are currently working with exchanges to try to offer professional users data at an affordable price.

7. Ponmo

Ponmo

How come Alpha Vantage were able to do this for long?

8. rkr

rkr

Compliance moves very slowly at exchanges. To be fair to them, here's my educated guess of what happened:

They must have subscribed as a user of realtime data with 1 or 2 distributors or sublicensees, like Refinitiv. This explains how they're able to cover so many venues in such a short time - just a hunch, I could be wrong, this is my first time reading their list of venues. There's very few companies with the financial resources to directly license from all of the venues that they seem to provide (or had provided) and much less to code up parsers for every feed.

If you directly subscribe with the exchanges, they make it more obvious what the licensing requirements are, but if you're using a third party provider or a sublicensee they mostly just assume and report that you're doing the right thing and you don't hear from them. There's a good reason why their distributor neglected to inform them: most direct license agreements with the exchanges assume liability with the user rather than the vendor once it has left the vendor's facility. So, AV, as a user, probably didn't see the fine print and (as you can see) are now trying to comply.

This will also explain why you're seeing the venues drop as a whole cluster rather than one at a time. (One of) AV's distributor(s) probably learned of the issue because of 1 venue and now are compelling them to comply as a whole.

If you really tried to pirate market data and stall an exchange one at a time, I wager you can do it for about 2 years each because pulling the fiber is a last resort.

Hell, even the data center can't move very fast to pull your connection. There was one case where I was using this bandwidth provider for 100 Gbps of IP transit at a data center, and there were probably 50+ clients like us in there. Then one day they got in a fight with the data center over their contract, and the data center held all 50+ of us hostage and told them to eat dirt or take out their network gear. They refused, so they worked over a weekend to team up with a loose coalition of friends who have long haul fiber - a SDN vendor, an ISP, a tier one network provider, so on - inside the data center to backhaul all that client traffic to another data center and switched all of our cross-connects to their partners. It has probably been 2 years and the data center gave up fighting the issue.

Or even better: one of my engineers left his server in a data center, in one of the rooms where they install core network equipment, not a regular suite. He couldn't be bothered to reclaim his server when his day was up, then the data center got acquired before he could get his server back. To this day his server responds to ping and ssh. Free colo, though who knows where it is anymore...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    jharmon likes this.
  9. ZBZB

ZBZB

10. Ponmo

Ponmo

Couldn't agree more.

#10     Jul 14, 2020