Cost of Living Ranking by Country

Discussion in 'Economics' started by dealmaker, Jan 11, 2019.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

Best Cities

Which U.S. cities are regarded as the best in terms of job satisfaction? A survey from the job site Kununu sees Miami take the top spot, followed by L.A. Of course, job satisfaction is largely due to the nice things that employers do, but sunshine and the beach clearly factor in there, too. Fortune

#31     Jan 18, 2019
  2. ironchef

ironchef

If you live like an expatriate or are an expatriate seeking to duplicate your life style back home, any city would be expensive. If you are able to live like the locals and bland in, HK is not that expensive.

#32     Jan 23, 2019
  3. ironchef

ironchef

L.A.? Are you serious? o_O

#33     Jan 23, 2019
  4. Alexpung

Alexpung

Well we are talking about half a million dollars for a 200 sq.feet shoebox in Hong Kong. Near a million for any semi-decent apartment.

I agree that other stuff is cheaper but given the above price any other expenses are chump charge.

#34     Jan 24, 2019
  5. luisHK

luisHK

Didn't read the article, or at least didn't reread it today, but different items are factored in different studies, some don't take into account accommodation, and sure enough HK loses a few spots in the latter studies. Worth of note in HK many apartments are not only shoe boxes but also in absolutely horrible buildings.

#35     Jan 24, 2019
  6. ironchef

ironchef

You rent a shoe box to house your family, share bathroom and kitchen, the rent will be somewhat affordable. That, I suspect, is how most people live in HK as the per capita is $46K US.

#36     Jan 24, 2019
  7. subban

subban

America is the going to become the new Canada, no need to move there. AOC probably next president in 2020. Socialized state with 75% tax rates by 2024.

#37     Jan 25, 2019
  8. luisHK

luisHK

Lots of local families live in subsidized apartments, numbers are available through google. This seems to take out some of the social pressure from low to middle income folks, but life seems tough for those who can't qualify or are stuck in the waiting list.

#38     Feb 6, 2019
    dealmaker likes this.
  9. ironchef

ironchef

I am going to drop my arguments on this topic.

But one last time I was just questioning that the so call cost of living indices are not realistic, but only reflect how much it costs an expatriate to live in a foreign city.

Peace.

#39     Feb 7, 2019