Cost of Living Ranking by Country

Discussion in 'Economics' started by dealmaker, Jan 11, 2019.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

2. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

They should do a study by cities! Vancouver for example has a much different cost of living than the rest of Canada.

3. I've lived in a few countries and Canada is by far the cheapeast if you exclude peasant fees (taxes). Including peasant fees, which total about 60% of every dollar spent, Canada is garbage. Have a good accountant, hide your money well.

The other countries at the top are "expensive" because they have no income tax, so sales taxes are high (as well as the general problem with getting supplies to their location). At my daughter's elite school, a disproportionate amount of people come from de islands (all white) because the mofos don't pay any taxes and so they have 60-80K USD just lying around. In fact, I could send her to 10 schools in one year for the amount I paid in taxes in Canada when I was there.

4. Overnight

Overnight

So this article is bunk?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/07/canadians-may-pay-more-taxes-than-americans-but-theres-a-catch.html

5. Did you follow the link to the article? It does mention various cities.

6. Didn't read all of it so I'm just drive-by-articling.

"The typical Canadian family pays an effective total tax rate of 24 percent, according to Broadbent."

This is talking about income tax. These articles conveniently forget to take into account the following: the stereotypical family that pays 24% in income tax spends 100% of their income month-to-month. Now let's say you have 76% of your money left and you need to spend the rest of it. About 13% of that will go to sales taxes, and if you drive, you get tax on top of tax. Let's call it 7% on top of sales taxes. That works out to be a magic number of 40% for the lowest taxed income Canadian which is what many non-stupid studies have found.

7. Oh one trick to get medical wait times down: go to a small town

8. A minimal amount of googling will tell you that the PDF linked in the above article is being very generous. Using their own median income of 50,500... the total taxes paid is ~ 50% more than what they're claiming.

upload_2019-1-12_3-25-11.png

9. And this is what I would have paid when I was there

upload_2019-1-12_3-27-35.png

10. Overnight

Overnight

So you got over 300 THOUSAND dollars after taxes, and you are complaining? How much health care cost did you consume over the cost of a year? Because if you think for one minute that with an after-tax income of $300K+, you would fare better in the USA if you need a major surgical procedure, say, a transplant? Yer out of yer mind.

You get what you pay for.

#10     Jan 11, 2019