Bear Market Trading Strategies: How are You Trading it?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by KCalhoun, Feb 24, 2020.

1. MKTrader

MKTrader

The S&P 500 is down how much...5% from its all-time high? This isn't a bear market (at least not yet) by any sane definition.

You'd think the thread starter... a guy who's claimed to be an expert and been teaching classes, managing money, etc. since the 1990s would know this. Here's a flashback from 2002:
    https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/kent-calhoun.3457/

#21     Feb 24, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. MKTrader

MKTrader

Get a time machine (or at least a Delorean) and go back to the 1990s and early 2000s

#22     Feb 24, 2020
  3. %%
    OK.
    He makes more sense than than the so called elite who noted a 19.777%+/ was not bear, not 20% LOL. SPY did finish below 50dma, bear move, more than bear market. But SPY has super= strong seasonals MAR, APR usually.And SPY looks a lot better than DAL sector LOL.

QQQ looks better @ close than SQQQ He has some good % profits &uses of 200dma; Technical Analysis of Stocks & Co..... magazine, not that I would buy TSLA/single stock like he did. This early in the year, better to be early. Many shorts lose so much money on their short covering/surprise rate cuts, best be early.

#23     Feb 24, 2020
  4. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

MK, I'm Not "kent calhoun", that's a different person entirely, I'm "Ken Calhoun", award-winning #1-rated TASC author & Moneyshow speaker. Falsely slandering my good name is unwise, and rude.

see https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=slander+forums

I'm one of the top-respected educators in the biz.
    tascgd.gif

I'm up nicely today, but am holding inverses overnight, i may end up giving back profits if mkt gaps up tomorrow. VIX 1-year high is why I'm bearish:

fdly24febholds.jpg

TA = S&P loses 200SMA, not there yet but off to a good drop :p

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    #24     Feb 24, 2020
  5. %% Some may do OK..................

#25     Feb 24, 2020
    KCalhoun likes this.
  6. MKTrader

MKTrader

My bad on the name--but threatening to sue over that is petty. It's an easy mistake and I made no personal claims about you or using your service. You're this guy, right?
    https://www.tradingschools.org/reviews/day-trading-university/

Lots to read, including the comments. People here can come to their own conclusions. You said some things in the write-up were about Kent Calhoun, but some of it (Moneyshow, Daytradinguniversity, etc.) was about you, right?

Do you still have a service...or an audited track record? I can't evaluate you without that. Comments on sites/blogs are largely hearsay and speculation.

#26     Feb 24, 2020
  7. tsznecki

tsznecki

You are going to launch a defamation suit over an anonymous internet forum? I'd like to see you pull it off.

#27     Feb 24, 2020
  8. MKTrader

MKTrader

Any statistical basis for this? Except for a few rare times in the 2008 financial crisis and dot-com crash, shorting when VIX hits a 1-year high isn't a good play. Usually you're already near the bottom and there's not much opportunity left.

#28     Feb 25, 2020
  9. %%
    I have a lot of printed UWT charts + WTI chart...........;
    but i've made more money with UPRO + related.I dont think SPY dips below 200dma;
    but like an Orthadox Jews told the WSJ--we dont see a bear, but we are ready for one. LOL/true. SPY tends to be strong MAR + APR.
    I like your TAS&C magazine charts ; probably a shocker how many dont know how to use a 200 dma !!?????

#29     Feb 25, 2020
    KCalhoun likes this.
  10. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

thx Murray... I'm up again today, tightening in trailing stops now @ 1:15pmET, glad my SQQQ SOXS TVIX UVXY VXX paying off :p

fdly25febup.jpg

fdlyup566.jpg

i'd like to know what options traders re doing, eg buying puts

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    #30     Feb 25, 2020