About William Derber Gann

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by cf0532, May 10, 2009.

1. English is not this fellows original language, and I have better things to do than pick at nits.

To the OP.

I use the Socratic method to convey ideas, as it keeps the petitioner for information engaged. Much of what u need is free on the need.

The rest will come from understanding relationships between price and time. Throw up some stock or currency symbols, and I will "Gannify" them for u by way of posting charts for u to look at and discuss.

#11     May 11, 2009
  2. I'll bite... Let's see how well you "Gann-ify" your charts...

What's the current pitch of the DJIA Daily?

Within the Daily Chart there are 4 predominant squares (or composite cycles) what are they?

2 of them are Natural Squares... which of them is it (you can just tell me the Master Chart and the degree it's on)?

Finally, there (was)is a very strong planetary influence that supposedly made the March's low this year... which planet is it?

Luckily, I had some spare time last weekend so I pulled out my old code that I used to test Gann Analysis and ran a few tests and analysis... Not to mention, 6-7 years ago... I used to be the Gann (Baumring) Analysis Expert in ET... Probably, one of the first few people who coded and tested Gann Analysis.

#12     May 11, 2009
  3. cf0532

cf0532

Hello, TSGannGalt. Thank you for your information.

I think WD just is a liar from your words. But how shall we explain the followings:
    1, he forecasted exactly the price--$1.2 of the wheat options on september, 1907.
    2, he alse had a good ratio of winning in the stock market--above 90% by the supervising of editor of The Ticketr and Investment Digest.
    Of course, I just know these on books. But they doesn't sound fake.

#13     May 12, 2009
  4. cf0532

cf0532

I believe you can gannify your charts. It will be useful. I am eager to watch them.

#14     May 12, 2009
  5. LOL

U appear to be casting urself as the expert. But I will tell u already what u r going to do. I will post my chart, then u will make some remark, but u will not bother to post any chart or call any trade.

Now that the OP already knows the script, he can follow along as he sees
    fit. Here is my chart. It's design will answer every question u might think to have. Dates range from 12/17-5/20, calendar days.

#15     May 12, 2009
  6. cf0532

cf0532

The chart is so wonderful. I know the WD's theory is great.

#16     May 12, 2009
  7. Thank you. You've provide enough.

My old alias was "WDGann", I was a bit more immature than I am right now, in the early 20s. I think I just started developing trading models around that time. Obviously, my first drive was to automated Gann Analysis due to being lazy and thinking automated trading was the key to getting a private ATM machine. We all have our own set of history behind our trading careers.... Anyways, I've made a few calls in the past. (Also, did a chat event for ET, I wonder if the log still exists... hrmmm...

Added:
    http://www.elitetrader.com/ch/transcripts/gann_chat.cfm
    )

I currently don't use Gann Analysis for my trades now. Hence changed the name. But kept "Gann" in my screen name for nostalgic and ID purpose.

Good luck trading. Maybe you should do a chat event.

#17     May 12, 2009
  8. Once understood, it will give a trader enough reference points to make an educated decision on where to trade, and how much risk to take.

Another poster here mentioned cycles. The outer square is on a 22 week cycle.

Cycles are only useful to help cast a symmetrical chart. Do not use them to trade with, as without a knowledge of all the composites, one could get a nasty surprise. Compiling the composites will take a lot of time.

So I just trade the chart from the horizontal angles. Vertical angles, i.e. cycles are good to know, but do not trade them.

Post any questions that u might have.

#18     May 12, 2009
  9. No need, I remember u. I attended ur chat.

We have all grown as traders and I hope u give back again someday. It is hard around here tho. This site has really changed.

I trade currencies now, as I do not like gaps in information. Hope the Hang Seng is treating u well.

#19     May 12, 2009
  10. cf0532

cf0532

Thank you very much. You are so good, and I am so lucky to meet you.

Yes, just as you said, "Do not use them to trade with, as without a knowledge of all the composites, one could get a nasty surprise." I read similar words in Gann's works. In the fact, it is easy to understand, since just as we judge sth, more characteristics we find about it, more doubtless it is distinguished.

The chart you provided is Gannified wonderfully, but I find it is a little complicated for me. In the fact, I have read all books of what which WD wrote by hiself and I can find. And then I find this question----about the angle and time cycles. He never refered on them in his works that I have read, including new stock trend detector, truth of the stock tape, wall street stock selector, 45 years in wall street, how to make profits in commodity and so on.

"So I just trade the chart from the horizontal angles. Vertical angles, i.e. cycles are good to know, but do not trade them." Why do not you trade by the help of cycles. I still remember WD wrote that the time is most important. The chart you offered just now shows the cycle, I think, the square and round.

Thank you!

#20     May 12, 2009