Zuckerberg: Pledged $3bn to “cure, prevent or manage” all disease by the end of the century

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by OddTrader, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Money=Science!

2. Cuddles

Cuddles

I sure hope he doesn't run, the guy has the personality of a potato. As far as money=science, it doesn't hurt, and this administration is doing its darnedest to take that away.

MeAgainstTheWorld likes this.
  3. mlawson71

mlawson71

$3bn are a lot of money, but I don't think that even that amount of money would be enough to achieve that admireable goal.

4. Perhaps $3tn? Still worth spending, if $3tn can do the job fully.

5. mlawson71

mlawson71

Perhaps. I don't think that even Mark Zuckerberg has that kind of money to give.

6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Managing diseases isn't that lofty a goal. We currently manage a lot of disease right now, at huge cost (physically and monetarily) to the patients.

7. DT-waw

DT-waw

is he going to treat facebook addiction too? ;)

8. jl1575

jl1575

IN a thousand years, it is still impossible to cure and prevent all diseases; putting in another 3000 billion in research, scientists still can't fully understand the mechanisms and complexity of all the disease. "Manage", on the other hand, it is only a phony "PC" buzzword.

Just a few numbers: NIH annual budget is about 37 billions, NCI 5.6 billions; in 2016, Medicare spending 670 billions, Medicaid 565 billions, and hospital expenditure 1082 billions.

Think about how much 3 billion can do? Get real. However, it is a noble act.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  9. DT-waw

DT-waw

THe U.S. spends 3.5 Trillion per year on healthcare.
    By GDP that number equals to 3rd biggest economy after Japan.

For health what is needed is PRECISELY opposite than spending lots of money on research.

Everyone needs to spend THE LEAST MONEY AS POSSIBLE. You hear me?

1. spend fun time with family and friends. And have any in the first place...

2. eat mainly the cheapest foods: carrots, potatoes, cabbage, olive oil, avocados, onions, garlic, shallots, parsley, OATS, rice, cinnamon, honey, beans, bananas, lemons.
    Some real butter, 3x a week fish, 2x a week red wine. Thats it folks! Sensible, down to earth diet. Avoid ingesting anything artificial.

3. Dont drive in expensive cars, walk more, move. I know, in U.S. its different.

4. Do regulary some simple yoga, foot and hand reflexology at home. Sleep on a good mattress in complete darkness.

5. Surround yourself with plants and natural places as much as possible. Oxygen, humidity and peace of mind.

No one needs more than those 5 points.

No money, doctors, drugs or treatments will ever make any difference,
    if you won't follow the above.

Risepoint1879 likes this.
  10. Sig

Sig

Couldn't agree and disagree with you more. Each of your points is completely correct when it comes to the sadly avoidable health conditions that impact millions and account for a big chunk of healthcare costs. But not every disease is avoidable. Diabetes is a perfect case in point. The majority of your suggestions, if followed universally, would nearly eliminate Type II diabetes. And have absolutely zero impact on Type I diabetes. And yet with treatment that didn't exist 100 years ago, those who unavoidably end up with Type I diabetes live full happy healthy lives now and would otherwise all be dead. We need to radically refocus healthcare, but that doesn't include throwing it out entirely.

#10     Jan 13, 2019