zq (fed funds) spreads

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by scriabinop23, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Now is a time to go outright short November.

95.53. Time to go in heavy.

#21     Oct 24, 2007
  2. I'm not buying this rate cut, but the pain I'm taking on my short ZQ isn't exactly thrilling. Best of luck.

#22     Oct 24, 2007
  3. I wonder what dynamics are making people bet fed funds even have a chance of getting to 50bp.

Seems goofy.

#23     Oct 24, 2007
  4. Doubled my short postion this afternoon, but watching it
    closely. Risking another 0.035 to 95.570.

When a trade goes too far against you, you're wrong
    and there are no two ways about it.

#24     Oct 25, 2007
  5. Futher to this -- I'm not so sure there. Taylor rule on forecast
    core inflation and forecast gdp (vs TTM inflation and gdp) gives
    a rate of around 4%.

I still don't see more than a 25 bp cut though.

#25     Oct 25, 2007
  6. I can only imagine this is being entirely driven by the credit market. The bid for mortgagebacks has dropped again, as well as high yield spreads widened the past 2 weeks.

The market must perceive that the FOMC will continue to bail out the credit market.

But just remember: the first time they cut, oil was in the high 60s and the jobs # was horrid. And the dollar index... well, that goes without saying.

We shall see. I'd be a lot more nervous to take this position if equity markets were testing 1370 right now, though.

#26     Oct 25, 2007
  7. kashirin

kashirin

it would be symbolic when Fed cuts 50 bp on October 31 and oil hits 100

#27     Oct 25, 2007
  8. OK guys. I am bailing now on my short November at 94.460 in after hours for a slight profit.

I'm not quite comfortable short thru the meeting when i have a cover opportunity here. For some reason I see this going back to at least 94.5 before the meeting.

I stand by my fundamental arguments ... but perhaps I see better risk/reward in other places, considering the fed funds have held at 94.5 and above for a few days. There seems to be a lot of big $$$ conviction against me.

Like one of you guys said, admit when you might be wrong.

#28     Oct 29, 2007
  9. Ha! Covered myself tonight at 94.455 for a modest profit.. Didn't want to hold through the announcement either. Any idea why we dropped quite a bit in the overnight sesion?

Glad it worked out.

#29     Oct 30, 2007
  10. Ok, you got me into the trade, I'll follow you out of it.

Trying to work my way out at the bid now.

I've got a fairly decent profit in it, mostly because I doubled my position near the high.

Thanks for the ZQ trade, keep them coming!

#30     Oct 30, 2007