Zoloft

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by WDGann, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Zoloft is a medicine that "Mike Tyson" :mad: Uses for
    not to kill you all Sissy traders:D

#21     Feb 10, 2004
  2. pspr

pspr

Actually, if Zoloft does the same thing as Paxil, it is a serotonin blocker.

http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_paxil.pdf

#22     Feb 10, 2004
  3. demonet

demonet

You needed to keep reading.....

All of these antidepressants--save for a few available in the US (there are more in Europe) such as Wellbutrin (which has no direct effect on Seratonin) and Effexor (blocks reuptake of serotonin and norephedrine, and in higher doses dopamine)--are pure SSRIs. This means they block the REUPTAKE of serotonin. Neurons produce serotonin molecules which are then transmitted across a synapse (or gap) to adjacent neurons in order to send a message that essentially, helps you relax. By blocking serotonin from being absorbed back into the blood and broken down, the serotonin stays in your brain (in the synaptic gaps) longer which causes a potentiation of serotonergic neurotransmission in the brain.

The united states is fixated primarily on serotonin, however the real key to mood enhancement is in dopamine. Wellbutrin (Buprprion) is a drug that blocks the reuptake of dopamine and norephedrine is an example of this (all though not entierly successful). While Wellbutrin isn't a panacea, it does prevent the sexual side effects of the SSRIs.

One of the reasons that drugs that block the reuptake of dopamine are not encouraged in the US is because essentially, this is where real happiness resides. Cocaine and amphetamines all contain a mechanism to either stimulate production or block the reuptake of dopamine. Neither one of these would really make a good antidepressant, but if research were allow to go unfettered in this area, we would probably have better solutions a lot sooner.

But this isn't likely to happen until people are educated about various drugs and the real harm they can cause--i.e. separate the myth from fact regarding drug addiciton, etc. There is such an extreme puritanical fear that a dopamine reuptake drug might possibly be slightly habit-forming, the FDA will not green light the majority of them.

I encourage you all to read the very long, very well-written, but somewhat difficult article found at the url below....it basically states where we are right now with all antidepressants/mood enhancers in the world known to man--both legal and illegal compounds. It is really interesting and enlightening.

http://www.biopsychiatry.com

Parker

#23     Feb 10, 2004
  4. Very well written Parker. I love physiology at that level. And thanks for that link. Too long for me tonite. But definitely on the list for tomorrow.

An interesting aside about Wellbutrin and side effects. During the clinical studies, as I understand it, the correlation between smoking cessation and bupropion use was not noted. It wasn't until the medication had been in use for a time that a number of clinicians separately were reporting, among other things, an increase in smoking cessation among their patients.

In addition to bupropion being marketed as Wellbutrin for depression, it is also marketed by the same company as Zyban - like "anxiety ban" - as a medication to help people stop smoking.

Thanks again demonet.

#24     Feb 10, 2004
  5. pspr

pspr

Good thing there are people out there who still enjoy wading through that stuff. :D

#25     Feb 10, 2004
  6. rgelite

rgelite

Heh heh. My dad, a golfer, used to coach me about putting when I was a kid. I'd often hit the ball too lightly, on track, but without sufficient oomph to make it into the cup. He'd remind me, "Never up, never in."

It took me, oh, about another 40 years to figure out what he meant. But golf is like that. :D

#26     Feb 10, 2004
  7. Is this depression condition common among traders? I've never seen it among the people I've traded with nor heard it to be a problem. Maybe the bursting of the bubble spawned this?

#27     Feb 10, 2004
  8. I actually didn't read the Bubble thread...

I thought it was about the Internet Bubble stuff... :(

Now that we get into this subject...

From what I know, seratonin is a supressant, opposite of adrenaline...

But... considering pattern recognition, a very important part of trading, I think it's hard to take Dopamine out of the picture...

Does the Seratonin and Dopamine have any relationship? Is there actually any relationship...

I've read that when on a Dejavu state of mind, you get an unique connection of Dopamine distributed between nodes that doesn't have a strong tie in between, and have some feeling close to an anxiety...

Anyways... any relations?

#28     Feb 11, 2004
  9. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Yes, my bad...you are right....1991. Yes, I took it the day it came out just about. I have been on antidepressants for 16 years, Tofranil and some others that have really awful side effects. But I will look into that new one. Though I have to see if I can get a Canadian discount on it. Zoloft finally is in generic, so it is cheap.:)

Oh, and as far as trading and depression.....it was more stressfull learning to use the darn computer. I actually find trading as a job less stressful now that I do it well. I used to pluck hairs and talk to vain women all day about nothing.....now THAT is stressful.:p

#29     Feb 11, 2004
  10. pspr

pspr

If....... (well, I better not go there) :D

#30     Feb 11, 2004