Zoloft

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by WDGann, Feb 10, 2004.

1. My gorsh, you cracked me up as well... LOL..... :D

#11     Feb 10, 2004
  2. Not only that, but ahhh.... well.... your name here on ET... :D

#12     Feb 10, 2004
  3. what percentage of these "new wave" mood enhancer's benefits are psychosomatic ? my non medical ( well, i dropped out of pre med first semester LOL ! ) opinion is most of them are psychosomatic. i'll leave the answer up to the good doctor.

best,

100 % drug free surfer

#13     Feb 10, 2004
  4. version... LOLOL I didn't even think of that.

A person who does not have a serotonin deficiency will not benefit from the medication, ie., if you're a happy person, you won't get even happier by taking the stuff.

Some depression is psychosomatic in nature, and therefore will respond permanently to placebo. This type of depression usually stems from some acute event.

The type of depression that doesn't respond to placebo or the ol' "keep your chin up" slap on the back is the one that has been continuing for years and years, almost imperceptably. In fact, the rate of decline has been so gradual that the person doesn't even recognize it in themselves. Many many times it is the significant other, or the physician who picks up on a clue.

For those of you interested, here is a very good clinical test to give yourself, or someone you are concerned about. The cutoff is 5 "yes" answers, but if you know the person well, 3-4 might do. Regardless, it can really clue you in to someone who would benefit from a medication that would give them back their lives. Truly, most of these folks don't even remember what they were like years ago, when they were higher up on the normal happy scale.

The acronym is SIGECAPS - pronounce it as you wish. Preface each question with "in the last few months to a year or so have you noticed...."

a desire to commit Suicide,
    a decreased Interest level in your hobbies or other pursuits,
    that you feel Guilty,
    a decrease in your Energy levels,
    a decrease in your ability to Concentrate,
    a change in your Appetite,
    an inability to do things or Psychomotor retardation,
    a change in your Sleep habits,
    a decreased Sex drive.

Depression and anxiety are so easy to treat and literally give people their lives back. If you know someone who might be suffering, work these questions in to a conversation or two. Don't be surprised when the floodgates open. Be ready to be supportive, and suggest a visit to their personal physician.

Chemical imbalance like serotonin deficiency is no different than myopia, diabetes, hypertension, or allergies. You can't "will yourself" better.

#14     Feb 10, 2004
  5. Well...

I'm 100% drug free... ( NO.... seriously... I'm drug free )

But I'm 0% alcohol free... ( Yeah... I'm drunk a lot but I've built up quite a tolerance )

The point of this thread was how people deal with and dealt with stress and anxiety.

It's interesting to see how many deal them in view them in different ways... it shows how they deal the other stuff in life too... :D

Hands up to surf :D and to inandlong... I learned something today :D :D

InandLong... how many girls did you bang with your questions...???

He he he

#15     Feb 10, 2004
  6. Fine signature! I really dig it (and it is truly appropriate in this thread!) :D

check mine -

#17     Feb 10, 2004
  7. WD.... LOL, what makes me laugh is how many of your posts have something to do with chicks and getting laid et al. You are a riot man.

Hey, btw, here is another little cool one for alcoholism.... it's called the CAGE questions.

Answering yes to one or more means you need to at least get some attention:

are you Concerned about your drinking,
    do you become Angry when others talk about your drinking,
    do you feel Guilty about your drinking,
    do you need an Eye-opener in the morning, ie., a drink (not coffee :))

You know, though never studied, I think those questions could be used for Over-eaters too, maybe any Over-behavior:

are you Concerned about how much you eat,
    do you get Angry when people mention your eating to you,
    are you Guilty about how much you eat,
    do you need something to Eat before bedtime every nite?

#18     Feb 10, 2004
  8. Fine advise Inandlong except one little thing. There is no test for serotonin deficiency or even a known healthy level. The theory is a result of backward reasoning. In some people juicing their serotonin leads to improved mood - therefore depression must be due to deficiency of same..... Similar to thinking that alcoholics like drinking b/c of an inborn ETOH deficiency.

#19     Feb 10, 2004
  9. Actually there is a test for serotonin level, but it is not diagnostic for the reason you stated. Therefore, no one uses it. And you make another good point by highlighting my use of the term "deficiency". In the case of serotonin deficiency, I should restate it as meaning the level of serotonin produced by the individual is not sufficient for that individual.

Thanks res'. I appreciate your calling my attention those points.

#20     Feb 10, 2004