Zoloft

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by WDGann, Feb 10, 2004.

1. I had my TV on and I heard that a lot of celebrities drink Zoloft. Well, any thoughts on this "Super-Make-me-Look-Happy" medicine....

2. Bob111

Bob111

i start use it few weeks ago, did not see any changes yet.
    it will take another 3 weeks to finish full course. let you know what happends after that))))
    good thing-if you mixed with alcohol-oh boy...that a hammer))))

3. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

I have used it on and off for 16 years. It works like a charm. Best product out there. Go for it.:)

4. I used it for a while.. I causes sexual side effects for some people (impotence).

All it took was one incident of that for me to change medicine's quickly..

Seemed to be fine other than that

5. 16 years???? Has it even been around for 16 years? You must have been one of the test cases or something. Stop trading and you'll be less depressed.

6. demonet

demonet

I would have to fall on the "don't bother" side of the ol' antidepressant debate.

I was on Effexor for 2.5 years and while it did help, in retrospect, I would say that this benefit was not worth (i) the withdrawals from the drug, (ii) the high cost (for the short period when I was not covered by insurance), or (iii) unfortunately, the side effects-- my main complaint being that my libido was running at 65% during that time.

After I discontinued using it, I may have been a little more anxious in certain times, but I could control it now that I knew it was predominantly an issue of neurochemistry. Also, you don't realize what your libido is to you until you lose it and get it back. I would say that ones sex drive is probably a large part of their passion for life. I never would have said that 3 years ago, but its an amazing revelation (and you appreciate it more too).

Notwithstanding the foregoing, if you are clinically depressed or have been diagnosed with some type of behavioral disorder which is significantly affecting your life, try a few different ones (under a psych.'s guidance, of course). I have heard miracle stories as well.

But never forget--and don't let the FDA and the pharmaceutical industries fool you....these drugs are ADDICTING.

OK...before I get a lot of flames from people who do not agree...you must realize that about ten years ago when the term "addicting" was really only used to describe drugs which could cause a physical dependence in one. We had two terms originally that were used to describe this type of an effect from certain drugs: physical dependence and/or psychological dependence.

Then we ran into crack cocaine (and later crystal meth). Some individuals who used these drugs regularly over time became VERY psychologically dependent to them. But this was not "addicting" like heroin or cigarettes were. THe DEA was stuck saying "psychologically dependent", and I guess, if they couldn't say that cocaine was "addicting" and then compare it to heroin, well, I guess they just weren't having any fun.

So sooner or later they just convinced the AMA to change the whole definition.

I really do not understand what all the different words mean now, except I can tell you that Effexor, Paxil, Zoloft, and others all cause a real physical dependence. Although you do not have the cravings associated with psychological dependencies, you still will feel very ill for days if you stop cold turkey (a word you will never here the pharm co.s use when describing these drugs) and do not titrate off slowly. These drugs have withdrawals just like opiates (heroin, morphine, etc.). In some instances they may be very similar such as nausea, headaches, dizziness, clammy skin, etc., but you won't really feel like you would give two fingers for another pill because there is no association psychologically to the drug.

Lastly, I really feel like all these drugs do is anesthetsize you. They all boost serotonin (other than Wellbutrin which I do endorse for its lack of side effects and its focus on dopamine receptors as opposed to serotonin receptors) and basically make you emotionally "foggy". In other words, You won't get really upset anymore if say Oprah is a rerun today, but on the other hand, the little things in life that might have made you happy or excited (like the change in seasons or say, your libido) don't really do it anymore. For some people losing the mental anguish at the expense of these things is a sound trade-off. But for others who may just want a little fun or a better disposition....I'd recommend exercise, a hobby, or a trip to amsterdam.

Parker

7. That's what I was wondering. So I looked it up. It was approved for use in the US in 1991. What's a few years among friends. :)

Zoloft and all of the SSRI anti-depressants are not addicting. They typically cause the user to have flu-like symptoms if usage is stopped abruptly. Anti-inflammatory steroids also must be tapered. It is wise to taper some blood pressure medication. Symptomology following cessation of usage does not mean the medication is addicting.

Also, they are not happy pills. A person cannot take one when he is feeling low and feel better. It takes approximately three weeks for the benefits to be noticed by the patient, although most people, and especially their significant others, notice significant changes within 10 days. And what's more, it is a medication that is usually taken for at least six months and more often years versus 6 weeks.

Effexor and all the bi-modal meds are an attempt to cover depression and anxiety in one pill. It really hasn't worked very well. Although, a big part of the early rejection was because the initial dosages were too high. Better results were obtained when the starting dose was halved. Paxil is a far better choice for depression, anxiety, or both.

There is a relatively newer isomer of a med that's been out for several years and it is called Lexapro. It is a very "clean" form of Celexa which when released was a very good choice for the elderly. Lexapro has far fewer side effects... all of which btw are temporary and tolerable. The most common are GI distress and headache. These are occasional and resolve in the first 2-3 weeks. Impotenceis extremely rare, but anorgasmia is not. In other words, a very delayed ejaculation. Indeed, pre-mature ejaculation is often treated with Zoloft.

8. Yes, isn't there something legal in Amsterdam that is better than
    Zoloft? I can't remember what it is.... :p

9. I have not taken them but as therapist have worked with many who have. They definitely seem to have withdrawal effects and, like Demonet says, one should go off them slowly, with MD's help.

Also, and unique to anti-depressants among psychotropic drugs, is that study after study shows that depressed patients taking a placebo do as well or even better than depressed patients taking any of the medications prescribed for depression.

edit: like inandlong says, technically not addicting, but rather physical dependence producing.

10. LOL! :)

Okay, I'm sorry to be crass, but when rereading my previous post, it struck me funny how well the very last sentence flowed into my signature. Ha ha, I crack myself up.

#10     Feb 10, 2004