Zinc vs Covid-19

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Wallet, Mar 9, 2020.

1. The CDC? The NIH? They're Kushner-free, and I imagine they have Internet access.

#51     Apr 7, 2020
  2. Sprout

Sprout

#52     Apr 7, 2020
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

True, and that is why they sell Zinc with Copper. But if I have a choice, I would rather be low in copper than dead.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    #53     Apr 7, 2020
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

I am going to theorize here, but it can be attributed to scientific hubris. When you have a top team and millions at your hand for research AND you think you live in the greatest country, do you think you are going to google other's research? Nope, they are not going to trust foreigners specially the Chinese.

And whoever eventually comes up with the solution will make HUGE money out of it, so telling to a scientist that a $5 Zinc and a $20 Quercetin from Amazon save lives is a hard sell.... :(

#54     Apr 7, 2020
  5. I was thinking more along the lines of layman hubris. :)

#55     Apr 7, 2020
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

Here I am going to show off my incredible google foo. In 5 minutes I have found this:

"the ionophore action of quercetin, epigallocatechin-gallate and clioquinol on lipid membrane systems. "

https://www.researchgate.net/public...llate_From_Hepa_1-6_Cells_to_a_Liposome_Model

In plain English those are 3 Zinc potentiators, helping it to cross through the cell membranes.

#56     Apr 7, 2020
  7. Sounds good. So then why isn't the CDC telling people to zinc up?

#57     Apr 7, 2020
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

Morons. They screwed up the whole pandemic response and we wasted a whole month. They are also probably biased against a simple supplement. In America everything has to be a drug. Read the second post in this thread. Zinc's effect is well known for the rest of the world.

Personally I have been surprised that for people having the virus and going through it at home there is no advice given. "Take a rest and drink fluids." This is it. This is the most scientific advise what America came up with. No taking vitamins or some anti-viral supplement, just drink fluids.

Generally speaking, they never push simple and cheap solutions. Did they ever say, lose weight, give up smoking? (before you get the virus) They are not promoting to boost your immune system, although we still have time, before we get the virus. This is one reason to try to push out the inevitable, so you can get your body in the most optimal state when you get hit by Covid 19.

I was also surprised the government and/or CDC didn't do commercials about how to wash hands or distance yourself MUCH EARLIER. Information costs nothing but could save lives, yet it was up to every channel and program if they spread any kind of helpful info. Finally about 2 weeks ago I started to see government ads. Again, they wasted 3-4 weeks easily.

Now why is that, that is anyone's guess. Was it the anti-science culture what Trump promotes? Was it just plain old stupidity? Anyhow, that is politics, this is the science subgroup.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    #58     Apr 7, 2020
  9. If only they had your bandwidth, eh?

#59     Apr 7, 2020
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

The CDC should put me on retainer. :) In the maintime:

https://www.cnet.com/news/zinc-supplements-wont-protect-you-from-the-coronavirus/

Here is what the official guidance is:

"If you really want to protect yourself from COVID-19, it's best to follow the measures already set in place by the WHO and CDC. These include social distancing, washing your hands frequently and not touching your face."

Here is what the expert guidance is:

"People are flocking to zinc supplements because of an email that virologist and pathologist James Robb wrote to family and friends in late February advising them on common-sense ways to protect themselves from the novel coronavirus. He mentioned that they should stock up on zinc supplements, and when the email went viral the internet seized on this piece of advice, with some memes even calling zinc a "silver bullet against coronavirus."

"Robb reportedly never meant for the email to be shared widely, but his recommendation is likely rooted in scientific studies that suggest zinc supplements can help treat symptoms of the common cold."

#60     Apr 7, 2020
    Sprout likes this.