Zimmerman Verdict: Guilt or Not Guilty? Vote now!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by peilthetraveler, Jul 12, 2013.

Will the Jury find Zimmerman Guilty or Not Guilty

1. Guilty

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Not Guilty

25 vote(s)
    78.1%
  1. LEAPup

LEAPup

+1

#11     Jul 12, 2013
  2. Arnie

Arnie

I agree the facts support GZ's version much more than the prosecutions side, but we have a jury of 6 women, so I will not be surprised if he is convicted.

Edit: Sorry, Lucrum, did not see your post :D

#12     Jul 12, 2013
  3. There is no "good" verdict in this case. I'd describe this case as "mutual self-defense gone wrong". If I were Martin, I'd do what he did: confront the creepy guy who followed me in my own neighborhood. The Florida's "stand your ground" law would be on my side. But if I were Zimmerman, I'd use whatever force I needed to stop Martin banging my head against concrete, as it's clearly life-threatening. And again, the Florida's law would be on my side.

In the unfortunate incident that happened, I'd say Zimmerman is guilty of playing to be a cop, and taking it far too seriously. For that, I'd give him 2 years in a low security prison, and take off 1 year for good behavior.

Unfortunately, the jury does not have that option. Conviction on the second degree murder would clearly be overreaching. Conviction on the lesser charge of a manslaughter would send Zimmerman to federal prison for up to 20 years, which also seems way disproportional to the crime. I don't like the third option, the acquittal, either, because the precedent would be set for any maniac with a gun to stop me anywhere, question me, and kill me if I attempt to confront him (or perhaps even If I attempt to flee).

So, back to the poll question, if I were in the jury, and I had to decide whether Zimmerman gets 20 years or no time at all and the "fair and proportional" punishment seemed to me like 2 years, I'd have to acquit.

#13     Jul 12, 2013
  4. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Florida's "stand your ground" law is NOT on your side if you confront 'the creepy guy' and start beating them. Everyone has the right to walk on public property - even creepy guys.

As pointed out in the trial today there is no law against following someone when you are on the phone with 911.... in most states this is called being a good citizen.

#14     Jul 12, 2013
  5. Arnie

Arnie

A better poll would be how long the jury deliberates. The longer that goes, the worse for the defense imo.

#15     Jul 12, 2013
  6. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

What happens if the jury deadlocks? Possibly with one sole hold-out juror against the mainstream decision.

#16     Jul 12, 2013
  7. The "creepy" guy wasn't in Martins neighborhood. He was in his OWN neighborhood. Martin lived 250 miles away in Miami.

People love saying "If Zimmerman didn't get out of his car, Martin would still be alive." But I say "If Martin didn't do illegal drugs, he wouldn't have been suspended from school and been at his Dads house, so hence...he would still be alive if he wasnt a drug addict.

#17     Jul 12, 2013
  8. ET jury says to acquit immediately.

#18     Jul 12, 2013
  9. >>I don't like the third option, the acquittal, either, because the precedent would be set for any maniac with a gun to stop me anywhere, question me, and kill me if I attempt to confront him (or perhaps even If I attempt to flee).<<

I don't get this.

Do you really believe that if trayvon had simply asked why are you following me, then explained that he was staying nearby, there would have been any problem? Moreover, there is no evidence that Zimmerman stopped him or questioned him at all.

If your idea of "confronting " someone is to start a fight, then yes, you are taking a big risk, no matter what the outcome.

The only precedent that likely will be set is that young black thugs will feel even more entitled to terrorize white neighborhoods. They have the backing not only of the usual race hustlers but the state and federal government.

#19     Jul 12, 2013
  10. Well stated mr nonlinear5.

#20     Jul 12, 2013