zero sum game?????????????

Discussion in 'Trading' started by madmunny, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Fair enough, but the stock market does not create wealth, the economy does.

#41     Feb 25, 2006
  2. I had to re-read that :)

when i am trading YM on an intraday basis - THAT is a zero sum game. because for every winning trade, there is a losing trade. that is not true with the economy, or stock market, as a whole.

#42     Feb 25, 2006
  3. OMFG

thank you whitster....finally an intelligent answer

i had given up hoping for one

wish i had been able to answer my own question with as well as you did

#43     Feb 25, 2006
  4. Stalker

Stalker

If that was true I could sell you my dirty socks for 1 dollar, and you could sell em back for two. Then I sell it to you for three and so on and we would both make money. Wonderful, we can make tons of money this way right? :)

The thing is, when you sell a stock for a 1 dollar profit the next person who buys has to pay one dollar more then you did to get the stock. This means one dollar has been taken out of the market and one dollar has been given back. 1-1=0

#44     Feb 25, 2006
  5. less the commisson (negative sum)

This means one dollar has been taken out of the market and one dollar has been given back. 1-1=0

#45     Feb 25, 2006
  6. And I'll reiterate that there is an important distinction between the economy creating wealth and the stock market creating wealth. The economy creates the wealth, the stock market does not.

#46     Feb 25, 2006
  7. Stalker

Stalker

That the value of the stock or the economy is going up has nothing to do with simple math of selling and buying.

#47     Feb 25, 2006
  8. Also, madmunny, Cramer destroys wealth. :D

#48     Feb 25, 2006
  9. so explain the effect that an auction has on price....

and don't tell me about the Kevin Bacon Movie :) (what happened to that guy...he was a good actor) Just like that rock N' Roll Group "The Cars...here today gone tomorrow...

#49     Feb 25, 2006
  10. can someone figure out how much net wealth was accumulated in the equities markets from 1900 and how much wealth was destroyed. very difficult i would imagine, but that would solve this mystery. my theory is the amount of wealth available to traders have risen over time, but winners and losers net out close to zero.

#50     Feb 25, 2006