Zen in Trading - I believe!

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by TheMayan, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Lotus 7

Lotus 7

I think Marty is right, however there are different Buddhist traditions with different techniques. I think a monk practicing Tumo is very much one pointedly focused on his inner fire, and his breathing technique. Focusing on the Kundalini. that being said i feel that focus has its place depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Many Buddhist practices talk about being mindful, What is mindfulness?? Mindfulness I feel is really about self-observation and self-understanding, a practice along the lines of Dozchen. the higher aspects in some Buddhist traditions start to practice true Yoga in alignment with the Indian yogic system.

I belive while trading, the practice of self-observation and self-understanding is the most helpful. This forces you to be honest with yourself. If you find yourself regressing into self-defeatting behavior (over trading, revenge trading, not following your rules, creating extreme pain/loss for yourself, taking stupid trades) true understanding is your only hope for recovery.

Another thing you can do is practice Yogic renunciation. Try to renounce money and the idea of money.

Renounce what money means to you. explore your relationship with money. then work on renouncing all fear and all greed. truly let go of all these attachments that your mind has placed on this idea of money. to actually do such will take hard work. hard mental work and most would never really do what would be, and is necessary.

To renounce in right context is not easy, But the results would suprize you. You will be free and open to a life of trading without fear and attachment to the results. Attachment is the one thing that causes people so much pain.

Because lets face it why is trading so hard to begin with? Why do 90% fail? in trading each individual has to examine their internal beliefs and their personal relationship to money and all the ideas of what money means to them.

We all have attachments we are human but the successful people are always very detached of the outcomes of their work.
    they are open to the flow of the creative life and always in a state of wonderment.

I feel that Expectations and Attachment in all aspects and all contex cause most people very much pain. I have seen too many people with faulty thought process and tend to cause themselves much pain.

I am sorry to go on, and on. It is late am i am getting delirious. I hope i have been clear enough. (I know 60% will be scratching thier head saying Huh... What is he talking about.)

Marty it sounds like you have had some deep study into the eastern traditions and that is great. We have some things in common. Thanks for sharing. I am always open to learn something new.

Namaste,

Lotus 7

#11     Feb 27, 2006
  2. Yeah yeah thats fine..

Look it is the "attachment" to money that causes new traders to be unable to hold a position long enough to make money.

Instead because they (and in the past tense "we") cannot let money out of their grasp, they get flushed out of losing trades quickly, before the position can move in their favor.

The "other side" of attachment is fear. Ironically it is fear of loss and fear of losing money that causes traders to lose even more.

Unfortunately "finding Buddha" won't fix the problem. Being mindful will not fix the problem. What will fix the problem is doing the homework. Learning how to trade, how to find an edge, how to determine a stop, and how to control your emotions....all can be learned without Buddha's help.

"If you see Buddha on the road, kill him" Lin Chi.

"Buddha is my dog" Steve46.

Steve

#12     Feb 27, 2006
  3. Thank you steve, im sure you can elaborate on the precise disciplines of so many buddhist schools, as it regards trading.
    It is marvelous, you have discovered these disciplines, and been prepared to share how they have positively impacted your life.

I want to beleive........

#13     Feb 27, 2006
  4. ==============
    Helpful points;
    and not to miinimize the beliefs,
    of actually working your plan/stops/profits.:cool:

Archery sharp shooters can & do use intuition;
    & plenty of scientific, stuff like modern sights , plenty of practice, work.
    Fred Bear[& still have my Polar Bear LTD bow]shot instinctive;
    shot llike an instinctive Indian, but ran it like a very thoughtful business.:cool:

#14     Feb 27, 2006
  5. Hi Lotus 7,

You are right but it might not be good to talk about Tummo on a public forum. The dakinis and dharmapala are watching. :D

To me, yogic renunciation (yogi practiced for years in solitude and came back to town to test and fuel the fire of their realization... more poisons the better) is like step 10 and we always want it so bad and fake it in the beginning. Kinda like trading, we got the whole thing ass-backward because we want it so bad.

I used to study Tibetan Buddhism a little but not much of a practitioner. I think the probability of all these great people lying at the same time about their deep inner experience is slim especially when some lineages are carried within family - father to son. I know implementing the teaching is what's really important in our short stay here :(

Good trading.

#15     Feb 27, 2006

6. As far as my discovery, I have discovered that there is nothing to discover. Thats why.....

"If you meet Buddha on the road, Kill him" Lin Chi

Here Buddha, Here boy...time to go for a walk.

Steve

#16     Feb 27, 2006
  7. It seems to me I read this at some time long long ago, in a land far far away.

If memory serves correctly, it went ' if you see a Buddha on the side of the road, kill him".

A real Buddha would be balanced in the middle of the road. But who knows? Words make lairs out of us all, including Buddha

#17     Feb 27, 2006
  8. TheMayan

TheMayan

There are things that have less importance. The fear and greed are important normally, but useless when the trading plan is perfect, and is followed.

There are different Buddhist traditions with different techniques as Lotus 7 write...
    For me Buddha and the oriental/spiritual meaning of that technics are not important!

The important in the Zen is the art of control of the breath that allow us with practice to control our mind.
    The power of think with 100% in one thing when we need (Trading all the plan... The entry, the exit, the stop, the crowd behavior...)

I read a Book 5 years ago about the subject:

ZEN EN MANAGEMENT - JOSCHKE, B. & P. STEMMANN.

#18     Feb 27, 2006
  9. TheMayan

TheMayan

Ups...

Sorry: The subject is management not trading... but have the necessary connection.

#19     Feb 27, 2006
  10. In Buddhist tantra, there is a "reverse" connection between mind and body. I think I have better chance to use rhythmic breathing to break out of a brain-lock than some fantasized state. But I found if I am a little more patient with my entry initially, I don't need to get into that.

#20     Feb 27, 2006