Zen and The Art of Trading

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by martys, Sep 16, 2004.

1. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

You seem to be losing your sense of humor . . . :(

#61     Sep 21, 2004
  2. Ok.. good.. thats what I thought.. but then read too much into it I guess..

Been a little paranoid lately for some reason.. guess need to get back on the anti-depressants

#62     Sep 21, 2004
  3. #63     Sep 21, 2004
  4. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

I may re-post.

This setup works best if connected to the P&L. Whenever there's a loss, the racket swings into action, so to speak.

All of which may be OT, but there are many roads to The Rapture . . . :)

#64     Sep 21, 2004
  5. With your setup, more likely to a rupture.

#65     Sep 21, 2004
  6. "POKER RULE #8 Keep plugging away. Expect nothing...
    There will be times when you play tight, keep playing tight, and keep on playing tight, and it still does no good... the bad cards just keep coming... You may have to just keep doing it until the end, with no reward at all."

When there is no expectation, there is no fear of the outcome. This is in harmony with the fruition of Mahamudra - freedom from hope and fear. I have not tried this... Personally I think this might open a true opportunity to integrate trading and meditation. I am not qualified to talk about the insight meditation of Mahamudra lineage but the general idea is that by looking directly at the nature of the thought itself rather than its content, the thought (in this case expectation) will be naturally liberated in its own place. Without this, any attempt to push thought away might either increase its power (like a pressure cooker) or it might become a part of the subtle undercurrent of thoughts. Of course thought is not a thing that hangs around like I am describing it but you know what I mean.

#66     Sep 21, 2004
  7. mind

mind

IMHO the concept of chakras is very powerful.
    the meditation technique i learned first of all balances the breath you take between the two nostrils. this balances the left and right hemisphere of the brain. secondly energy is gathered all over the body and brought to the spine. third is raising the energy from the lower chakras towards the top of the head = the fontanelle.
    the concept is extremely effective in calming the mind. and it is conceptually clear and understandable - nice aspect for a western mind :).
    the technique enables to hear primordial sound, seeing light with closed eyes and feeling moving sensation in the top of the head.
    breath beomces quiet and thinner during the practise. after the "exercise" part, the mind is prepared to rest in true, silent meditation.

peace

#67     Sep 22, 2004
  8. Thank you for sharing. That is more like Kundalini Yoga System... correct? How long have you practice it?
    Also in Buddhism, there are the path of liberation and the path of skillful means. In the path of skillful means, a practitioner does use the body more such as in the tummo (inner heat) meditation studied by Herbert Benson at Harvard Medical School. You will need a real qualified teacher to look after you because this is high voltage stuff - never do it from a book. The kind of meditations we discussed thus far are from the path of liberation which is safe, profound and effective.

#68     Sep 22, 2004
  9. mind

mind

it is called kriya yoga and i strongly believe my guru is qualified. i completely agree with you in terms of the danger. people who are misguided or run for too "short term profit" are as much in danger as the one with a real guru is on safest ground there could be.
    i am again and again amazed how my consciousness reacts to this technique and how i literally forget about it when i am absorbed by my karmic bondages.

peace

#69     Sep 22, 2004
  10. "POKER RULE #9: Don't fall into the "Now Trap."... Players want to win now, today. Results must happen now, in this hand, the one right in front of us... We assign a little more importance to where we are. We make it bigger, more important... But we do this timewise , too - we assign things more importance because they are happening in the present moment... Yet giving greater importance to the present in the game of poker allows us to imagine marginal hands into good hands and good hands into great hands."

What are the percentage of time we go with a marginal hand? We are more worried about missing the move for whatever need we have - whether to assure our ego's sense of existence or protecting our ego from hurt... Why is this ego of ours always needs to do something to affirm itself? Because as explained in Buddhism, this inflated "I" has no self-nature or inherent existence but rather it is a mere concept dependently arised from other interdependently arised relationships. When one realize this... don't worry about the whole world just disappears - it's always as it is just as it was.

Marty Schwartz interviewed by Jack Schwager in the book "Market Wizards":
    "When did you turn from a loser to a winner?"
    "When I was able to separate my ego needs from making money... By living the philosophy that my winners are always in front of me, it is not so painful to take a loss. If I make a mistake, so what!"

#70     Sep 22, 2004