Zen & Absurdism

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by exGOPer, Feb 26, 2018.

1. exGOPer

exGOPer

Two distinct philosophical traditions, one from the east, another from the west but absurdism can be described as a logical and non-transcedental version of Zen, where the absurd accepts and lives his life without seeking some higher goal - although they seek meaning. Ironically Zen preaches the same, the concept of enlightenment is shunned by 'realized' Zen teachers.

Accordingly, absurdism is a philosophical school of thought stating that the efforts of humanity to find inherent meaning will ultimately fail (and hence are absurd) because the sheer amount of information as well as the vast realm of the unknown make total certainty impossible. As a philosophy, absurdism furthermore explores the fundamental nature of the Absurd and how individuals, once becoming conscious of the Absurd, should respond to it. The absurdist philosopher Albert Camus stated that individuals should embrace the absurd condition of human existence while also defiantly continuing to explore and search for meaning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdism

Zen teacher Huangbo: "Like an idiot almost you are"

As of now, at all times, whether walking-standing-sitting-reclining, learn no-mind. Which is also no-discrimination, also no-dependence, also no-attachment. Throughout the day freely let the function be robust. Like an idiot almost you are. All the worldly people can’t recognise you, and you also have no need of them recognising you or not. With the mind like a hard rock, totally without gap or crack, all dharma can’t penetrate through to enter your mind. And suddenly, attachment is no more. Only like this is it the beginning of some resonance.

ElCubano and Slartibartfast like this.
  2. qxr1011

qxr1011

If you have a fountain plug it - let the fountain rest (c)

3. speedo

speedo

'In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's, there are few."
    -Shunryu Sukuki

4. [​IMG]

Absurdist class.

CSEtrader, bullmarket79 and Sprout like this.
  5. speedo

speedo

:D

Slartibartfast likes this.
  6. Interesting, I had recently been explaining that after checking most things out I found epicureanism the most natural and easiest to live with.

I had not really considered that a significant amount of the absurdist is also involved.

CSEtrader likes this.
  7. "individuals should embrace the absurd condition of human existence while also defiantly continuing to explore and search for meaning."

So basically same as trading.

CSEtrader likes this.
  8. Sig

Sig

We used to call this existentialism, when did we change the name to absurdism?

9. exGOPer

exGOPer

When you take out all hope and sense out of existentialism, you get absurdism

CSEtrader likes this.
  10. Sig

Sig

Ah. I didn't get that out of Camus but I do now recall him calling his brand of existentialism absurdist.

#10     Feb 28, 2018