"You've Insulted 10's millions workers"

Discussion in 'Trading' started by limitdown, Jul 15, 2003.

1. CWU

CWU

"90+ percent of politicians are liars and thiefs. This is on both sides of the aisle."

That's not true.

I have been a port director and city manager at 3 mid to large size cities. I have been to DC five times to press flesh. The most watched group in the world are USA elected.

They are not liars and thiefs. They're simply ding bats. They drove me out of the public sector and into the private.

It's our public disclosure laws that have destroyed the leadership group that should run -- but will not. I have seen it over and over and over ....

Chuck

#41     Jul 15, 2003
  2. gms

gms

That's compelling.

About them being dingbats: I've long thought that the criteria for being in authority over the next person, is that you should have to be more intelligent than the next guy, because why the heck would I want someone stupider than me deciding what I can and can't do? Of course, the biggest problem with that is that anyone smarter than me would probably come to the conclusion that they don't really want to be a politician. Where's a Davy Crockett type when we need him?

#42     Jul 15, 2003
  3. LOOK AT SCANDANAVIA !!!!
    they've got a great system- better than ours- or so that crazy independent whacko thinks....
    greenspans not perfect, but that chump was out of line- he wasn't even clever enough to have a retort after greenie answered him......

#43     Jul 15, 2003
  4. either actually make trickle down work, or make it work, since that's how the order of the day is given...

#44     Jul 15, 2003
  5. actually, one of the Representatives did ask him, what can they collectively do, right now, to spur on jobs and work in tandem with his policies......No answer, nor any attempt at answering.

They were all so upset at the theorum that he espouses instead of delivering on any of the promise.....

so, perhaps, I would have agreed with you if I didn't see it myself on Bloomberg TV toward the conclusion of the Congressional session.

Hey, face it, we only want to look at these realities in the light of what makes us feel most comfortable....

Let them tell that to the Marines who are fighting in far flung corners.....Let them tell that to the unemployed Tech Workers who's companies don't even exist in the history books anymore...

#45     Jul 15, 2003
  6. Unemployment and stagnating real wages are almost totally a function of the export of manufacturing jobs to low paying third world countries. I fail to see what Greenspan could have possibly done to stop this. It is the downside of globalization and free trade.

#46     Jul 15, 2003
  7. gms

gms

Hmmm. So he didn't come up with an answer on the spot. Doesn't preclude him or his staff from coming up with an answer tomorrow or next week to offer congress on what they can do. But suppose he had a ready, snappy, informative answer. You think if he gave them specific instructions on what to do they'd all jump on it, or jump all over it? Do you think it likely that they would have shot down the answers, and if anything did make it to congress in the way of pending legislation, that there would be attached to it a slew of compromises to either pass it through or kill it?

I'd still ask myself what the congressperson is doing sitting there not knowing what it is they can do to spur on jobs. Maybe if they lost theirs, an idea would come to them!

#47     Jul 15, 2003
  8. hey, centering this conversation back on the Economic and not the political....

they (H. Reps) poked holes in the facade.....

as a result, even though the bullish overnight events occurred:
    a) Citibank bought Sears debt portfolio for $6billion
    b) Intel announced improved earnings in their downsized corporate structure
    c) others announced improved earnings in their downsized corporate structures

these seemingly positive events were over shadowed by the fact that the Representatives no longer believed in the GSPN aura

that let the world, and the financial markets know that persistent questions of credibility persist

the bond trading pits went up over 3 handles to a 4% plus yield

let's face it, today's downturn in the markets are also attribituable to yesterday's actions

#48     Jul 16, 2003
  9. Well…to put it simply…they belong to the CULT of GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCTION.
    Whereas, Smart Economists believe in a difference type of GDP – Genuine Domestic Progress.

Yes Greenie and his World-Wide Fraternity of Dismal Scientists basically do not believe in maximizing Wealth…They believe in maximizing Illth.
    They do not believe in uneconomic growth...so as Gross Domestic Product grows - they cheerlead and Jump for Joy....Even though Genuine Domestic Progress shrinks to multi-decade lows.

#49     Jul 16, 2003
  10. One of the disturbing trends is the looting of the younger generation (with little money and little power) who will eventually have to pay for the meds of an 89-year old woman on 13 different drugs (true story presented on the Senate floor). Prescription drug coverage for seniors is yet another government program that will blow up in our faces. Our society will be sinking a disproportionate amount of our resources into keeping ultra-senior citizens alive.

Look at the Senate, the majority in their 60's. They were recently debating whether or not seniors should even have to pay a $35 premium for prescription drug coverage. Most of my friends pay on average several hundred dollars per month in health insurance, and yet the AARP throws a hissy fit if seniors have to pay even a nominal premium. One of my friend's parents has had four heart operations, and he's 87-years old. After the last procedure left him in a vegetative state, she said My God can't we just let my father die in peace?

#50     Jul 16, 2003