You're ideal system under $3500

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by insidebuy, Dec 24, 2005.

1. mrtwo

mrtwo

Hi there, if you will go for a pre-built machine, I would definitely go for a brand name. The reason is simple: support. If something goes wrong, you need someone who will get it fixed ASAP.

When you buy a Dell or IBM computer for example, every single component inside it has been tested and configured to work properly together.

However, what many smaller system integrators do is: buy what is cheaper/hot at the market right now. So, they sell 100 units using motherboard A then they switch to motherboard B because they got a 'deal'. Result: inconsistent support information, headaches and eventually dispair.

I am not saying tradingcomputer does that. The reality is that I dont know these guys. I just dont expect them to have the same integration quality testing procedures that the 'big boys' have.

So, what i would recommend is: call Dell, tell them you want a multi-monitor Precision Workstation and they will tailor a solution for you. Dont forget to buy the best warranty/support option they have too. It is a good thing.

I hope that helps!

#41     Dec 29, 2005
  2. yes, but be careful of the 'brand'
    Dell is good,
    HP is crap and there are a few inbetween
    might help to have Fry's in town where you live....

#42     Dec 30, 2005
  3. mrtwo

mrtwo

Yeah, I head the same thing about HP from a couple of people. Dell is good, IBM is great, Sony is for those who likes computers that only looks good :p

#43     Dec 30, 2005
  4. tr51

tr51

Dell it will be.....tks

#44     Dec 30, 2005
  5. ENZO

ENZO

#45     Dec 31, 2005
  6. I'm running on an Intel D875PBZ MB with a 2.8GHz P4. Still very happy with it.

Does anybody have a hard-facts based comparison with a recent MB, either for Intel or AMD CPU's? No hearsay.

#46     Jan 1, 2006
  7. mrtwo

mrtwo

Its sad but hard-fact comparisons are hard to find. Most benchmarks are just too synthetic to be taken seriously. I would say your machine still have 6 to 12 months to live before an upgrade is due.

I work with two computers, one is a 1.5ghz Centrino laptop and the other is is a 2.8ghz dual-core Pentium and honestly, unless I am running a pretty heavy task-parallel application, my Centrino 'fells' as fast and responsive as the dual core.

I personally have a 'thing' for AMD processors, I like them a lot. Its quite personal and unjustified though ;)

#47     Jan 2, 2006
  8. hcour

hcour Guest

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

#48     Jan 2, 2006
  9. Hi, mrtwo, can you kindly explain in detail on the subject of setting up our own network with a static IP address and IP address exclusion rule with yr brokerage house.

Like some your earlier posts on the quad screens setup, solved the problem on what graphics card to use. :)

Thanks. :)

#49     Jan 4, 2006
  10. i bought ibm zpro workstations on ebay with a 4 year in home next day service warranty...

sold nvidia 3400 card for 700.00 and net cost was about 800.00...

units are refurbed sometimes but you get a new warranty...

had a system board go bad (my fault maybe) ibm was out next day to repair in my home...

go to ebay and type in ibm xeon...

i use genuine ati cards so no issues running 7 monitors on 2 machines....

#50     Jan 4, 2006