You're ideal system under $3500

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by insidebuy, Dec 24, 2005.

1. #11     Dec 24, 2005
  2. ifinitis

ifinitis

I agree with this persons reply and would like to add the following.

Try a local PC builder, most towns have them. They can custom build you one. Get your monitors on the Internet and spend the extra for better monitors. Have the PC builder configure your box for what you are doing, trading, this will speed things up. The Dell and HP, etc. type systems will have to be reconfigured anyway to get rid of the shipped configuration.

1 GIG of good fast memmory is more important than have 2 gigs, 2 gigs of matched fast memmory will provide some speed, but not much. Liguid cooled is not needed nor is a gaming system. Hard drive speed is more important than size, ask your pc guy.

#12     Dec 24, 2005
  3. Agreed, they're overpriced toys.

#13     Dec 24, 2005
  4. mmillar

mmillar

We're talking about TradeStation here! If he's an equity trader then he's probably also using RadarScreen (insidebuy - are you using RS?). TS and RS are massive resource hogs for both memory and CPU. I agree that getting the very fastest processor will have a big price premium. Ultimately it depends on what insidebuy is doing.

Cheers

#14     Dec 24, 2005
  5. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

Does this mean I need to install 2GB of memory? This is with TS and e-signal both being used.

Thanks

#15     Dec 24, 2005
  6. Thanks for all responses and opinions, lots of good info here.

mmillar,

I'm not currently using RS but will with new system.
    I don't trade everyday and have a small income from trading.
    Trading mostly nasdaq, some listed. I like to trade morning gaps up or down and news events. Mostly discretionary.

Currently using 2- 19in. KDS flat screen crts.
    1-AMD athlon 1- gig processor with 512 mb ram.
    Running Millenium Edition so you can see I'm in the dark ages.

Just now working my way back after acct. blow up a couple years back.

Again, Thanks!:)

#16     Dec 24, 2005
  7. ozzy

ozzy

Anyone have comments on the MSI K8T? or is TYAN the way to go for Opteron Systems?

#17     Dec 24, 2005
  8. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

I use the MSI K8N Neo2 motherboard. This uses the 939 socket, which can be interchanged with any of the AMD chips out there.

I use a 64-bit processor and have never had any problems.

You can buy one for around $100.

#18     Dec 24, 2005
  9. mmillar

mmillar

You don't 'need' more memory, but certainly you're using more memory then you currently have physical RAM.

Whether you buy more memory depends on whether you feel your system is sluggish or not (and whether you care!). If you're using eSignal and you click on a TradeStation window how long does it take to switch to TS? It should only take a second or two. If it's taking, say, 10 seconds then this is indicative of memory problems and buying more RAM would probably help.

Cheers

#19     Dec 26, 2005
  10. mmillar

mmillar

Obviously, the best thing to do would be to get RS before you buy your new system so that you can set it up and see how much memory you are using. If you can't do this then, personally, I would go with 2Gb memory. You might not need it but it's better to be safe than sorry. I only use TS Charting (not RS) and my memory usage gets upto around 800Mb. RS will easily take out another 200Mb.

Good luck.

Cheers

#20     Dec 26, 2005