You're effing ads are crashing my browser

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by dcvtss, Sep 11, 2008.

1. nkhoi

nkhoi

No problem here, I used various computers, 2 laptops, 2 desktops, all XP Pro.

#41     Jan 6, 2009
  2. It's random. I'd say it happens 5% of the time. It has to do with which random ad pulls up. I suspect it's the same forex ad that crashed everyone before.

#42     Jan 7, 2009
  3. Definitely something going on here. I can't even open elitetrader.com/vb at all on my mac/firefox, it just hangs while trying to load the flash ad. It used to work fine until something was changed months ago on ET (sorry I can't give better details since I don't visit the site often on the mac. My pc still seems to works fine. Safari works fine on the mac also interestingly.

#43     Jan 7, 2009
  4. This problem is getting worst with FF3 on Linux, especially with Hardware thread. Click Back didn't solve it anymore.

However it didn't effect IE6 on Wine and window XP.

IE7 and FF3 occasionally has been effected on XP. please check it out, Maybe it is time to upgrade your hardware or database. Don't use Microsoft's database; it sucks.(I suspect that this site is running with it).

#44     Jan 9, 2009
  5. hey, moderator: this new Think or Swim ad banner causes my FF3.5.2 stacking on it, can't go back with go back button, and stop loading the rest of page, just hung in there. Other banners are ok with Back button.

I hate to use Microsoft IE.

#45     Aug 12, 2009
  6. I already mentioned had the same problem in FF3, and ironically, only on this site.

[​IMG]

Flash 10 download (known bug on older versions) seemed to be a temporary fix.
    But again, getting frequent ad lockups where I need to hit back key to load. It is a bit annoying. I'm very conscious about preventing/thoroughly cleaning any spyware that surfaces, so I'm thinking it's more of a bug issue.

#46     Aug 12, 2009
  7. Same here. I have to hit back key to load anything on ET EXCEPT FOR the flash ads.

#47     Aug 12, 2009
  8. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Ok, I'm a little confused here. Are you guys saying the problem is only with the thinkorswim ads? Or With all the fllash ads? And is the problem only apparent with Firefox 3? Or with all browsers?

#48     Aug 13, 2009
  9. Can't speak for everyone else, but for me it is FF 3.0.13. It was worse earlier, but seemed to improve with flash 10 install; as mentioned. But then it started to surface again. I haven't really isolated the ads as I use adbolck plus (also just upgraded today, no help).

The only glaring visible message is usually:
    on the bottom left, "waiting for ads at elitetrader.com..., or "connecting to google-anaylitics and connecting to edge.quantserve.com..." I see those messages as it hangs; ads are blocked by the F symbol (as in my prior posted image).

I am getting used to just hitting the back key quite a bit. But it does not always happen. Usually, one solid load that does not require back key is just entering the home page. It is when entering threads that the freeze occurs. Funny thing is, before the flash10 install, it was ALL the time in every thread --BUT-- homepage; now it is intermittent, and seems to be more related to particular threads.:confused: I'll try to pay more attention to specifics and get back to you with details. Thanks for looking into it.

P.S. Even though they are blocked by the f symbol, as prior poster mentioned, the ads themselves load... the problem is loading any content beyond that point.

#49     Aug 13, 2009
  10. aegis

aegis

People actually still use IE? It doesn't even work on my comp. As soon as I start it up, it freezes.

#50     Aug 13, 2009