Your War Policy Please...Draw You Plans

Discussion in 'Politics' started by canyonman00, Oct 14, 2002.

1. That's exactly what I'm afraid of.

#21     Oct 14, 2002
  2. Good point - the U.S. is the perfect symbol of wealth and power to be villified and blamed by the poor of the world. The UN is a great example.

however one could argue that hatred by the world's poor is vast enough to be shared by other countries nearly as wealthy, other people living as well as Americans do - Japan, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Norway, for example - granted none of them have Hollywood-level means to globally flaunt and parade their wealth, but it seems they would be at least a bit disliked. Instead, only one country is universally hated, and as far as I know, there are no Japanese flags routinely burned in Middle Eastern streets.

This suggests that it's about more than just wealth, but your point is still very true.

#22     Oct 14, 2002
  3. Ok, two points. First, if we handle the matter as we did in Afghanistan Sadam will be wandering around and we'll have no clue where he is or if he is dead. So we can't handle it the same way.

Second, in telling me that you're a corn-fed yankee, you allow me to provide a relevant argument to your position. In this instance, you would have several Arab and Russian holdouts to your position just based on the fact that their thinking you a gun-weilding-cowboy-American type. Maybe even a republican, who just wants to steal oil.

You have no understanding of the Arab world and the wrongs that America has caused in putting Sadam in power in the first place. No that he has not bowed to your wishes, you want to put in another patsy. Your response. :)

#23     Oct 14, 2002
    #24     Oct 14, 2002
  5. Because? :)

#25     Oct 14, 2002
  6. Knowing this, YOUR plan of proceeding would be laid out how? :)

#26     Oct 14, 2002
  7. Let's illuminate the policy in effect now first.

You must understand that the objective of the Bush war objective: gain leverage on the Persian gulf oil. because it is oil costs that can swing the Western economies in and out of recession. And of more timely urgency, it is petrol dollars that are funding al-queda. Saddam is Bush's cassus belli, his invitation to the oil party. Saddam is the unreasonable and dumb prick who has given Bush and his boys (Oilmen) the excuse to go in guns-a-blazing and establish a major physical presence and military control over a vast reserve of oil. This would in effect give the US a major seat at the OPEC roundtable. A victory in iraq could result in much lower oil prices, thereby retaining wealth in Western economies where it sorely needed, and pinch Arab funding of Muslim extremists.

The Iraqi War of 2002 began weeks ago gentleman. THe US and Britain have been methodically destroying Iraq air defense and outer command and control centers, and have been conducting commando raids in the north.

The arguments at the UN against US unilateralism on this issue are a mask for the real issue among the world's powers: how to divvy up the spoils of victory. And to make sure that the Russians, French, and German investment in Iraq and Iran remains protected. kofi annan is undergoing hyperventilating ego-exercises in what is a dog and pony show. He is irrelevant.

The US military presence will stir up further discontent among the radicals in the Middle East. But the Arab and Persian ruling elites will strike a deal with the US, and certainly with the Europeans and Russian after they follow in on Bush's coattails. This could also help reduce tension emanating from the perpetual Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

And now that al-queda is blasting away at French tankers and blowing up 20 year old Australians at far flung beach resorts, world sentiment against Muslim extremism will rise and find its way into the US camp.

If all goes to plan the results:

1) A madman out of power in a convulsive arena
    2) lower oil prices and attendant economic benefit.
    3) reduction in regional support of al-queda and Muslim extremists.
    4) greater alignment among middle east countries with the West.

If all goes wrong: something short of WWIII.

Have a pleasant day and trade well.

#27     Oct 15, 2002
  8. rs7

rs7

OK.... canyonman wants an immediate solution. No one (but Mondo and his big guns), seems to know how to deal with the issue immediately. Seems we all agree that more planning needs to be done, options explored, and strategies developed. We all seem to be too smart to suggest that we know without doubt how to approach the issue NOW. (except Mondo and his big guns).

But since I believe Canyonman wants an academic answer despite our inability to come up with anything foolproof (except Mondo and his big guns), let me make a suggestion. It may not work, but it couldn't hurt. I see no downside whatsoever.

We get Bush and Saddam in a room together with black lights and day-glow Grateful Dead posters; dose 'em both with major amounts of LSD, give 'em a good sound system and a vast library of music, a chessboard, some beads, candles, and maybe a sitar, and lock the door on them for the duration. No weapons, only robes and pillows allowed. Padded walls maybe. Let 'em out after 30 hours, and see what they have worked out.

Peace
    :)rs7

#28     Oct 15, 2002
  9. *****************

LOL...excellent idea...If I remember correctly, the Army did extensive testing on LSD some 50 years ago and actually dosed many of the soldiers at that time to discern the psychological changes and how it would enhance or diminish their cognitive skills...Somehow it made its way into the mainstream public in the 1960's and changed this world forever...

#29     Oct 15, 2002
  10. 3) nobody ever said american policies have been perfect, but it must be easy for the rest of the world, and others like mr. canyon, whose policy is: see what america does first, then critique it and second guess it. its tougher and takes more courage to lead but is much easier to criticize and play monday morning QB.
    Do i want a patsy, no. if you read my posts i am calling for democratically elected officials elected by the people of iraq! if they voted sadam in, so be it.

4) as far as the poke that i dont know anything about Arab world, i know more than most, and i think pro-arab might not like some of my views b/c the truth can hurt!

However part of the problem is the average american only knows what they see on CNN, i.e 9/11. and vice versa average arabs only know what they are told by al jazeera, bin laden, and dictator controlled media/propoganda in some cases. that def. needs improving.

but my point also still stands, the middle east needs better leaders, and how are we going to do it? by following and improving on the afghan model. its not perfect but its the best we have.

what is your policy canyon?

#30     Oct 15, 2002