Your Top Ten Favorite Books of All Time

Discussion in 'Politics' started by PoundTheRock, May 23, 2006.

1. I forget the name of the rookie back, but remember Lombardi made this guy who fumbled a couple of times carry the football wherever he went, including into the showers? That made a big impression on me. By the way, When Pride Still Mattered: A Life of Vince Lombardi by David Maraniss is a good book as well.

#11     May 23, 2006
  2. Thanks for the reco. You may also want to try Conquest: Cortes, Montezuma, and the Fall of Old Mexico by Hugh Thomas.

#12     May 24, 2006
  3. A keeper for sure

#13     May 24, 2006
  4. hcour

hcour Guest

Fantastic novel! One of the best I've ever read. In that same genre of epic historical novel I also liked The Thorn Birds, The Far Pavillions, Birds of Prey, and The Agony and the Ecstacy.

Any other recs for great "epics"?

I also like a good pulp thriller. Some of the very best I've read:

Shutter Island (probably my all-time favorite of the genre)
    Prince of Thieves
    Bad Men
    Gone, Baby, Gone
    Flint's Law
    Bones of Coral
    Without Fail
    Silent Prey

Harold

#14     May 24, 2006
  5. Now you're talking! I've read just about everyone of Sanford's 'Prey' series.

BTW I've got about 8 of them at home I'm willing to sell at a great deal. I think 2 of them are hardcopy and the rest paperback.

Any interested parties please PM.

#15     May 24, 2006
  6. 1. The Bible
    2. The Bible
    3. The Bible
    4. The Bible
    5. The Bible
    6. The Bible
    7. The Bible
    8. The Bible
    9. My Pet Goat
    10. The Bible

My Name is George W. Bush, and I approved this message...

#16     May 24, 2006
  7. hcour

hcour Guest

If you like those you should definitely check out Lee Child's "Jack Reacher" series. Similarly hard-boiled noir style, w/the always cool-under-pressure, taciturn anti-hero. "Without Fail" was my favorite, but all are good.

H

#17     May 24, 2006
  8. One talent that the President has developed over the past few years is the ability to read text upside down. Upon his first reading of My Pet Goat, he thought the book was written in Pig Latin.

#18     May 24, 2006