Your Thougts on Real Estate Commission

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dandxg, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Has anyone else listed the property on MLS themselves but jacked the buyers commission to 4 or 5%?

This seems like a really logical thing to do in a buyers market. The net cost(extra commission to buys, MLS listing fee and lawyer fee) will probably still be around 6% but one would think this would sell a property faster.

#31     Jul 14, 2010
  2. I wanted to comment on another point you made a good one. I may sign an exclusive for a very short time period, several days. If it looks like its going to take a long time to sell I will wait. She didn't mention anything about wanting to that at all. Her associate is planning to bring them over tomorrow morning before I meet with them.

#32     Jul 14, 2010
  3. Arnie

Arnie

Just sign a listing for that one buyer. No more than 30 days.

#33     Jul 14, 2010
  4. That sounds about right. If you like and trust her, sign a short-term exclusive.

My brother got into a bind recently on a home he sold in the Philly suburbs. The broker semi-retired, and lost interest in showing the listing, shortly after he signed the deal, so the house went into limbo till the exclusive finally expired. A tough spot to be in.

To get back to the discussion of what to tell a broker about your finances, again I would suggest you ST[Heck]U. If the broker is ethical, she won't pass along the info -- that you're well-capitalized and not in a hurry to sell -- to prospective buyers anyway. And if she isn't ethical, and tells buyers, she'll kill off interest in your house. Put yourself in a buyer's shoes -- no buyer wants to deal with a seller who isn't "serious" about selling.

#34     Jul 14, 2010
  5. Sure you make good points about finances. I just don't want low ball offers.

On the exclusive another broker that we know of, whom can't rep us because he is out of area, said all you have to do to get out of an exclusive is tell them you are no longer comfortable with them and threaten to report them to the regulatory authorities that you feel they are doing their fiduciary responsibility and they will let you out. Just some helpful info to pass back. I like to deal above board so I wouldn't come to that, but good to know if you end up with a bad broker.

#35     Jul 14, 2010
  6. Why not? Takes only a second to decline them, and many <i>respectable</i> offers arise from improved low balls.

#36     Jul 14, 2010
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

probably, I heard the same shit when I was selling buy owner. And I hear the same lie from aircraft brokers almost every month. These low life leeches just want to lock you into a listing contract.

#37     Jul 14, 2010
  8. That's why I will take the good advice of folks on this thread. If I sign its going to be short term only.

#38     Jul 14, 2010
  9. I have bought and sold many, many houses over the course of my adult life, both rental properties and personal homes. There have been very few times when I did it without an agent. Those were times when I was going to finance, and felt I had an advantage that I could advertise.

When I hire an agent, the way I do it is I look over the area to find out who is the listing agent for most of the houses in the area. I list with him/her. The reason is that I think they will have the most traffic. Neighborhood drive-bys for instance call on the sign, and become a potential buyer for all the houses that are listed by the agent.

Finally, I don't negotiate the commission down. I want the agent to work hard, not half heartedly. And certainly I don't want the buyer's agent to not show my place because I am paying less than all the other listings. And by the way, that is not "illegal" at all.

Now frankly, I don't think you're going to take my advice. But the fact is that good agents are worth the money. Problems crop up, they smooth them out. It's clear to me from reading your posts that you are no expert in real estate. And therefore you should be seeking to get the best agent you can on your side...especially in what in most areas is a difficult market, and in a price range that is not entry level.

OldTrader

#39     Jul 15, 2010
  10. Arnie

Arnie

Good advice.

#40     Jul 15, 2010