Your Thoughts On Walk-forward Testing To Assess Robustness

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by tommo, Jan 5, 2020.

1. shatteredx

shatteredx

Right, it's just a drastic shift in the amount of training data, from 4 years to 1 month.

I don't think it's reasonable to train a strategy on just 1 month of data, even as a test of robustness.

I could be wrong! :)

#21     Jan 5, 2020
    tommo likes this.
  2. tommo

tommo

I understand that to mean you assume all market movements are random?

#22     Jan 6, 2020
  3. traider

traider

It should affect strategies that are delta netural less. Are your automated strategies all breakouts of some sort

#23     Jan 6, 2020
  4. 10_bagger

10_bagger

Through the years, i have spent thousands of hours back testing. Every strategy that i trade go through the same process.

1. Theory.
    2. Back test and collect as many samples as you can or until you feel that the sample size is statistically relevant.
    3. Forward test and trade a small amount relative to normal trading size.
    4. If its proven profitable increase trading size based on your overall profits.

So i'm sorry, i have to strongly disagree with this statement. I have a system that i'm trading now that is extremely systematic where there's hardly any thinking involved. If the numbers add up you hold/buy and if it doesn't add up you exit/short. I would be willing to go as far as saying the money that i make is through back testing and not live trading, because in live trading all i'm doing is pushing buttons.

#24     Jan 6, 2020
  5. My experience is more in the market making sector so these trump tweets are a bit of a disaster for a some strategies running in fpga code :)

#25     Jan 8, 2020
  6. Curious with your statement "running in fpga code", can you elaborate?

#26     Jan 8, 2020
  7. It's a pain to put new code up there. Things that have been working for decades start making losses because of trump tweets. We don't run code on servers, we run it on FPGA

#27     Jan 9, 2020
  8. I think it's a waste of time.

#28     Jan 11, 2020
  9. guowei58

guowei58

There are too few trades for the backtest and optimization. Typically you need 2k-3k of data points for a backtest. if you don't have this many trades, then trade more instruments using the same rules, or break down your trades into daily P&L to increase sample size.

the optimization needs a lot more trades too.

#29     Jan 11, 2020